Cougars Acquire Former First Round Pick from Everett
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have acquired forward Ethan Browne (01) from the Everett Silvertips, in exchange for forward Ethan O'Rourke (99), General Manager Todd Harkins announced Monday.
Browne, 16, was the Silvertips First Round pick, 14th overall, in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft. The 5'11, 181-pound forward split this season between the Silvertips and the Drayton Valley Thunder in the Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL). In eight games with the Silvertips, Browne picked up one assist, and in nine games with the Thunder in the AJHL, he tallied three goals and five points.
"It's difficult to part with a quality person like Ethan O'Rourke. He's a terrific young man, with plenty of potential and he'll be a great fit in Everett," said General Manager Todd Harkins. "Browne fits into that young nucleus we're building around here in Prince George. He's someone we feel can really grow within our team and we're excited to have him in the fold."
Browne, a Sherwood Park, Alberta, product spent last season with his hometown Sherwood Park Kings in the Alberta Midget Hockey League. He averaged just over a point per-game, compiling nine goals and 29 points in 27 regular season games, and another four points in seven playoff games. He held guide Team Alberta to a gold medal at the 2016 Western Canada U-16 Challenge Cup, now known as the WHL Cup, and also won a silver medal with Team Northeast at the 2016 Alberta Cup Tournament.
Two seasons ago, in his Bantam draft year, Browne was named the Alberta Major Bantam Hockey League Forward of the Year, and Most Sportsmanlike Player. In 36 games with the Bantam AAA Sherwood Park Flyers, he had 39 goals and 77 points. He had another 10 goals and 23 points in 10 playoff games that season.
O'Rourke was the Cougars Third Round pick, 53rd overall, in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft. In 37 games this season, he had five goals and 14 points, and over the past two seasons, he had six goals and 16 points in 57 career regular season games.
The Cougars organization would like to thank O'Rourke for his contributions to the team and in the community, and wish him all the best in his future with Everett.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Rockets Clash with Americans at Prospera Place - Kelowna Rockets
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- ROCKETS' PORTER NAMED WHL GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Add Nagy from Victoria - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Get Point In Overtime Loss To Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- MALM'S OT HEROICS LIFT THE GIANTS TO VICTORY ON NEW YEARS DAY - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Ethan O'Rourke From the Prince George Cougars in Exchange for Forward Eth - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars Acquire Former First Round Pick from Everett - Prince George Cougars
- Regina Pats Practice Schedule & Media Availability - Regina Pats
- Pats Kick off 2018 at Home to Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- T-Birds End 2017 with Shootout Win over Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- CHOLOWSKI, MCDONALD WORK MAGIC LATE IN OT WIN - Prince George Cougars
- Clouston Sets Franchise Record - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Kelowna Rockets defeated the Victoria Royals - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Cougars Announce Plans to Show Prince George's Support to Humboldt, and the Family of Brock Hirsch
- Boyd Signs ECHL Contract with Rapid City
- Prince George Cougars Announce General Manager Change
- Bethune, O'Brien Sign Tryouts in ECHL
- Prince George Cougars Hand out 2017-18 Awards