Pats Kick off 2018 at Home to Prince Albert
The Regina Pats (18-18-3-0) kick off 2018 on Monday night at home to the Prince Albert Raiders (13-17-5-2). Puck drop is at 7:00 p.m. at the Brandt Centre. The Pats were in Prince Albert on Saturday night and stole a 2-1 win for their second consecutive victory. Tonight is the third of eight meetings between the two clubs in 2017-18, The Pats hold a 2-0-0-0 record so far in the season series. The game can be heard starting at 6:35 with Bennett Dunlop Ford Pats Hockey on 620 CKRM.
Regular Season Comparison Regina Prince Albert
Record 18-18-3-0 13-17-5-2
Goals For/Against 122/140 (-18) 111/139 (-28)
Powerplay 22.3% (37/166) 17.2% (23/134)
Penalty Kill 72.7% (128/176) 77.5% (110/142)
Team Save Percentage 0.884 0.889
Leading Scorer Matt Bradley (23-20-43) Jordy Stallard (25-22-47)
Leading Scorer (Defence) Josh Mahura (11-18-29) Max Martin (5-14-19)
Scoring by Period (1st-2nd-3rd-OT) 41-41-38-2 40-35-42-2
The Lead Up: Brown stellar in Pats win over Raiders Saturday
Tyler Brown was sensational making 47 saves to lead the Pats to a 2-1 win on Saturday in Prince Albert. The Pats got the game's first goal, 56 seconds in when Jared Legien toe-dragged at the top of the left circle and ripped a shot into the top corner for his first as a Pat and 14th of the year. The Raiders would tie it up less than a minute into the second but Tyler Brown took over from there stopping the next 34 Raider shots. On the Pats eighth penalty kill of the night in the third period, Jake Leschyshyn stole a puck in the offensive zone and slid home his 11th to give the Pats the 2-1 advantage. Regina would hold on from there despite being outshot 48-20 in the contest. Regina went nine for nine on the penalty kill and the powerplay was oh for three.
Head to Head
Tonight is the third of eight meetings between the Pats and Raiders with Regina taking the first two matchups by 2-1 scores on the road. Matt Bradley leads the way with three assists in the two games while Jared Legien, Jake Leschyshyn, Josh Mahura and Emil Oksanen each had a goal. The Raiders have six different players with a single point against Regina, Curtis Miske and Spencer Moe have scored in the season series. The Pats are currently six points ahead in the standings.
After struggling in the first half of the year, the Pats penalty kill has come up big in the three games since the Christmas break. The club has killed all 18 shorthanded situations and have scored a shorthanded goal thanks to Jake Leschyshyn. For the season the Pats penalty kill has jumped from 69.6 to 72.7 per cent, an increase of 3.1 percent.
Newly acquired forward Jared Legien is off to a good start to his Pats career. The Product of Pilot Butte, Saskatchewan picked up an assist in his first game on Thursday against Brandon and followed it up with a goal in Prince Albert on Saturday. The 19-year-old has put up 35 points in 38 games so far this year with Regina and Victoria.
Pats vs Brandon - Wednesday January 3, 7 p.m. - Brandt Centre (CKRM)
Pats @ Swift Current - Saturday January 6, 7 p.m. - Credit Union Iplex (CKRM)
Pats Vs Prince Albert - Sunday January 7, 4 p.m. - Brandt Centre (CKRM)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Rockets Clash with Americans at Prospera Place - Kelowna Rockets
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- ROCKETS' PORTER NAMED WHL GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Add Nagy from Victoria - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Get Point In Overtime Loss To Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- MALM'S OT HEROICS LIFT THE GIANTS TO VICTORY ON NEW YEARS DAY - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Ethan O'Rourke From the Prince George Cougars in Exchange for Forward Eth - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars Acquire Former First Round Pick from Everett - Prince George Cougars
- Regina Pats Practice Schedule & Media Availability - Regina Pats
- Pats Kick off 2018 at Home to Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- T-Birds End 2017 with Shootout Win over Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- CHOLOWSKI, MCDONALD WORK MAGIC LATE IN OT WIN - Prince George Cougars
- Clouston Sets Franchise Record - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Kelowna Rockets defeated the Victoria Royals - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Bennett Dunlop Ford Named Official Vehicle Supplier for 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup
- Entertainment Lineup Announced for 2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup Celebration Zone
- Molson Coors Announced as Major Corporate Sponsor for 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup
- Mosaic to Sponsor School Kids Program at 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup
- Pats' Paddock Named WHL Rookie of the Month