Rockets Clash with Americans at Prospera Place
The Kelowna Rockets get ready to host the Tri-City Americans on Wednesday night for the first Hat-Trick Wednesday at Prospera Place of 2018.
Having won their last five games, including three against divisional rivals, Assistant Coach Travis Crickard says the teams tenacity and work ethic have played big factors in their recent success.
"Number one, we play well when the players adhere to the game plan and when they never finish on a shift. For instance if our guy goes in on a forecheck and the other team breaks the puck out, our guy isn't done his job yet. That player has to start tracking the puck hard so we can get it back. Same thing goes for the defensive zone, If we're in the D-zone we play hard so we're able to get the puck back. That's the biggest thing," Crickard said. "Number two is that guys are supporting each other, that helps a lot. And number three is that guys are invested enough in the game, and are focused enough on what they have to do that they're able to make the adjustments that we as coaches ask them to make."
The Rockets and Americans have met three times already this season. On October 17th Kelowna fell 2-1 in Tri-City, but the two met again Kelowna 10 days later, and the Rockets edged the Ams 4-3 in OT. Their third and most recent meeting came just five days after the second meeting on November 1st, and Tri-City squeaked out their own 4-3 overtime win. This is the fourth and final meeting of the regular season between these two clubs.
Kelowna enters Wednesday night with a record of 23-11-2-1 that gives them 49 points. That's good enough for first place in the B.C. Division, three points ahead of the second place Victoria Royals, and four ahead of the third place Vancouver Giants. The Rockets currently sit in first place in the Western Conference, one point ahead of the second place Everett Silvertips, and two ahead of the Portland Winterhawks.
Tri-City comes into the game on Wednesday with a 20-10-5-0 record giving them 45 points and placing them third in the U.S. Division, two back of the Portland Winterhawks, and two ahead of the Spokane Chiefs. The Americans currently sit in fifth place in the Western Conference.
Kelowna will be without Rockets Captain Cal Foote and Rockets Assistant Captain Dillon Dube as they are in Buffalo, NY taking part in the World Junior Championships for Team Canada. With Dube captaining the squad, they are competing in the semifinal on Thursday after defeating Switzerland 8-2 in the quarterfinal on Tuesday afternoon. Dube scored his second power play goal of the tournament in that contest. Team Canada clinched first place in their group in round robin play.
It's Hat-Trick Wednesday at Prospera Place which means if you purchase your ticket before 2 p.m. on Wednesday, $19.99 gets you a hot dog, pop, and your ticket to the game!
Kelowna is back in action following Wednesday night when they host the Seattle Thunderbirds on Friday, January 5th. Puck drop for Wednesday and Friday are both at 7:05pm.
Tickets are available for Rockets home games through selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Rockets Clash with Americans at Prospera Place
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Rockets Clash with Americans at Prospera Place - Kelowna Rockets
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- ROCKETS' PORTER NAMED WHL GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Add Nagy from Victoria - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Get Point In Overtime Loss To Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- MALM'S OT HEROICS LIFT THE GIANTS TO VICTORY ON NEW YEARS DAY - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Ethan O'Rourke From the Prince George Cougars in Exchange for Forward Eth - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars Acquire Former First Round Pick from Everett - Prince George Cougars
- Regina Pats Practice Schedule & Media Availability - Regina Pats
- Pats Kick off 2018 at Home to Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- T-Birds End 2017 with Shootout Win over Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- CHOLOWSKI, MCDONALD WORK MAGIC LATE IN OT WIN - Prince George Cougars
- Clouston Sets Franchise Record - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Kelowna Rockets defeated the Victoria Royals - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Rockets' Dube Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week
- 2018 Kelowna Rockets Awards Ceremony Held
- 2 Former Rockets Help University of Alberta Golden Bears Win 2018 U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup
- Rockets crush Vancouver in Regular Season Finale
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2