ROCKETS' PORTER NAMED WHL GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK
Calgary, Alta. - The Western Hockey League announced today that Kelowna Rockets goaltender James Porter has been named WHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending December 31, 2017.
Porter, a 5-foot-11, 157-pound product of Bonners Ferry, Idaho, won both his starts during the week, helping the Kelowna Rockets take over the B.C. Division lead. In addition to the two victories, Porter posted a 0.48 goals against average, .987 SV% and one shutout.
Wednesday against the Kamloops Blazers, Porter stopped 46 of 47 shots sent his way, adding four more saves in the shootout as the Rockets topped their regional rivals by a 2-1 score in the shootout. Porter had silenced the Blazers through the first 40 minutes, stopping all 29 shots, but gave up a late goal in the third period, finishing with 14 saves in the final period and stopping all three shots in overtime. For his efforts, Porter was named the game's first star.
Two days later, Porter silenced the Blazers for all 60 minutes, stopping the 28 shots sent his way to earn his second career WHL shutout. In addition to being named the game's second star, Porter earned first star honours of the night across the WHL.
The rookie goaltender who was selected by the Rockets in the seventh round, 153rd overall, in the 2015 WHL Draft has impressed between the pipes this season for the division-leading Rockets, posting a 15-5-2-0 record with a 3.22 goals against average and 0.904 SV%. He's also record two shutouts and stopped 114 of the last 115 shots sent his way.
Catch Porter and the Rockets on Wednesday night at 7:05pm when they host the Tri-City Americans at Prospera Place.
Tickets are available for Rockets home games through selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Porter Named Goaltender of the Week
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Rockets Clash with Americans at Prospera Place - Kelowna Rockets
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- ROCKETS' PORTER NAMED WHL GOALTENDER OF THE WEEK - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Add Nagy from Victoria - Prince Albert Raiders
- Raiders Get Point In Overtime Loss To Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- MALM'S OT HEROICS LIFT THE GIANTS TO VICTORY ON NEW YEARS DAY - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Acquire Forward Ethan O'Rourke From the Prince George Cougars in Exchange for Forward Eth - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars Acquire Former First Round Pick from Everett - Prince George Cougars
- Regina Pats Practice Schedule & Media Availability - Regina Pats
- Pats Kick off 2018 at Home to Prince Albert - Regina Pats
- T-Birds End 2017 with Shootout Win over Winterhawks - Seattle Thunderbirds
- CHOLOWSKI, MCDONALD WORK MAGIC LATE IN OT WIN - Prince George Cougars
- Clouston Sets Franchise Record - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Kelowna Rockets defeated the Victoria Royals - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.