Cooper belts first Triple-A homer, Portland rides early lead to victory
PORTLAND, Ore. - Craig Cooper hit his first Triple-A home run and the Portland Beavers totaled all the offense they would need in the first three innings as they earned their first victory of the season by beating the Sacramento River Cats 7-3 Saturday night at PGE Park.
Luis Durango was 3-for-5 with two stolen bases and Chris Stewart was 2-for-4 with an RBI double for the Beavers, who conclude their series with Sacramento Sunday at PGE Park in a 2:05 p.m. start.
Cooper's two-run homer gave the Beavers (1-2) their first lead of the young season in the first, Chris Denorfia's RBI double highlighted a three-run second, and Stewart and Durango drove in runs in the third as Portland raced out to a 7-1 lead.
Matt Carson had three hits and a walk and Corey Brown added a triple and two RBIs for the River Cats (2-1).
With Portland up 2-0, Sacramento got a run back in the top of the second, but Denorfia's two-out double to right capped a three-run rally that gave Portland a 5-1 lead after two.
The Beavers padded their lead in the third, with Stewart hitting an RBI double and Durango hustling out an infield single to score Josh Barfield from third with two outs.
Portland starter Cesar Carrillo turned in a nice start for the Beavers, but did not factor in the decision. Carrillo was taken out after 78 pitches, allowing just one run and four hits over his 3 2/3 innings of work.
Scott Munter (1-0) worked 1 1/3 hitless innings to get credit for his first Portland victory.
Sacramento's Lenny DiNardo (0-1) lasted just 2 1/3 innings in his season debut. The left-hander allowed seven runs (4 earned) on nine hits and a walk in the loss.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 11, 2010
- Denorfia Collects Four Hits as Beavers Two-Hit River Cats - Portland Beavers
- Rainiers Roll In Win Over Sky Sox - Tacoma Rainiers
- Grizzlies Cruise to 14-2 Victory Over Aces - Reno Aces
- Z's Bats Awaken in 10-5 Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Doubled-Up at New Orleans, 10-5 - Round Rock Express
- Thompson Hit Hard in Redbirds Reunion - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Nashville powers its way to victory, 4-2 - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Complete Four-Game Sweep Of I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Jack Cust Added To Sacramento River Cats Roster - Sacramento River Cats
- Rainiers Come Up Short In Loss - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces' bats silenced in loss - Reno Aces
- Cooper belts first Triple-A homer, Portland rides early lead to victory - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Win Third Straight In Extras - Nashville Sounds
- Wild Hill Tames Royals Once Again - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds win over Cubs - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss