Conroy Records Second-Straight Triple-Double as Vipers Blow Big Lead to Red Claws
HIDALGO, TEXAS - Will Conroy recoded 11 points, 15 rebounds and 12 assists to pick up his second-straight triple-double, the sixth of his NBA Development League career and the third in Rio Grande Valley Vipers history, but the Vipers blew a 23-point third-quarter lead to lose to the Maine Red Claws 111-106 tonight at State Farm Arena in front of a crowd of 4,567.
The Vipers (23-9) and Red Claws (20-13) traded buckets in the early going, but after Trey Gilder hit a basket to bring the Red Claws within 36-35 with 6:00 left in the second quarter, the Vipers went on a 20-2 run until Billy Thomas hit a long two-pointer with 4:21 later. Mike Harris had nine Antonio Anderson had five and Conroy recorded the other four points during the run. The Vipers led 58-46 at halftime and Harris already had 21 points.
Winder hit a lay-up with 1:47 remaining in the third quarter to extend the Vipers' lead to 23 points at 86-63, but the Red Claws responded with a 16-0 run to pull within eight 1:12 into the fourth quarter. In his Vipers debut, Baylor-alum Kevin Rogers connected on a dunk to end the run with 10:25 remaining in the game.
An Anderson dunk made it 94-82 Vipers at the 8:47 mark, but the Red Claws responded with a 7-0, sparked by a pair of Russell Robinson lay-ups to get within five points.
Terrell Harris hit a three-pointer at the 6:11 mark to bring the Red Claws within 98-94, but Conroy followed with his triple-double clinching assist on a Mike Harris lay-up as the Vipers took a 100-94 lead nine seconds later.
Robinson hit a pair of free-throws, Gilder hit a lay-up and Billy Thomas hit a three-pointer as the Red Claws took a 103-101 lead, their first lead since the first quarter, with 3:38 remaining. After a Winder jumper tied it, Thomas hit another three-pointer to give the Red Claws the lead back. After Conroy hit a free throw, Thomas hit a jumper to put the Red Claws up 108-106 with 2:10 left.
Mike Harris led all scorers with 30 points and nine rebounds while Winder finished with 23 points. The Red Claws were led by Robinson who scored 19 points with nine assists and Thomas who also scored 19 points.
The Vipers and Red Claws play again tomorrow at 5:00 p.m. at State Farm Arena. The Vipers and the Salvation Army are holding a food drive. Every donation of four non-perishable food items will be rewarded with one free ticket. Doors open at 4:00.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 21, 2010
- D-Fenders Come Up Short In Battle With Thunderbirds - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Bakersfield Drops Second Straight To Austin - Bakersfield Jam
- T-Birds Bounce Back With 101-95 Win Against Los Angeles - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Conroy First To 3,000 Points As Vipers Beat Red Claws - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Wolves Recall Nathan Jawai From Sioux Falls Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Bakersfield's dos Santos Suspended - G League
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Stampede Slide Past D-Fenders In Exciting Home Win - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Balanced attack leads Energy over Flash - Utah Flash
- Stampede slide past D-Fenders in exciting home win - Idaho Stampede
- Skyforce vanquishes Wizards on VERSUS - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Conroy Records Second-Straight Triple-Double as Vipers Blow Big Lead to Red Claws - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.