Connolly A Finalist For WHL Rookie of the Year
Prince George, BC - An outstanding 16-year old season for Prince George Cougars forward Brett Connolly has earned him the Western Conference nod for finalist of the Jim Piggott Memorial Trophy as WHL Rookie of the Year.
The Western Hockey League announced its 2008-09 Western Conference All-Star teams and awards finalists today. Connolly becomes the first Prince George Cougar to be selected a finalist for WHL rookie of the year and the first Cougar since Dan Hamhuis won Player of the Year and Top Defenceman in 2002 to challenge for an individual WHL year end award. Connolly finished third in league rookie scoring with 60 points in 65 games, a new Cougar rookie scoring record. Connolly led all rookies in goals with 30 and power play goals with 12. Connolly also tied for the most game winning goals with 7 and tied with teammate Brian Matte for most short handed goals by a rookie with 2. Connolly also won the Cougars MVP and Rookie of the Year awards this season.
"It's a great honor to be named a finalist for rookie of the year," says Connolly, "I could not have achieved the success I had without my teammates and also from our fans, who's support for myself and our team kept pushing me every game. I want to congratulate all other nominees for the award for the outstanding seasons they had, as well."
The Western Hockey League will announce its Eastern Conference awards finalists tomorrow in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The WHL award winners will be announced at the 2008-09 WHL awards luncheon in Edmonton, Alberta on Wednesday, April 29th, 2009.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 18, 2009
- Brandon Has Playoff Fever? - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Western Hockey League Announces Western All-Star Teams - WHL
- Six Giants Named to WHL All Star Teams or Awards Finalists - Vancouver Giants
- Hawks Win Draft Lottery - WHL
- Blades Close Out Regular Season Ranked Seventh in CHL - Saskatoon Blades
- Hitmen Leap over Spitfires into Top Spot - WHL
- Pickard Selected as Western Conference Goaltender of the Year - Tri-City Americans
- Warriors to Select Second Overall in 2009 WHL Bantam Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Tokarski and Bowman Earn Post-Season Honors - Spokane Chiefs
- Connolly A Finalist For WHL Rookie of the Year - Prince George Cougars
- Pickard, Procyshen Named to All-Star Rosters - Tri-City Americans
- WHL Announces 2008-09 Western Conference All-Star Teams and Awards Finalists - WHL
- 2009 WHL Playoffs First Round Preview - WHL
- White-Out at the Credit Union Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Hitmen Prepare For Edmonton Oil Kings In First Round Of 2009 Playoffs - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Playoffs Set - WHL
- Americans Wrap-up Regular Season with 2-1 Loss to Chiefs - Tri-City Americans
- Kelowna Rockets Announce Awards Banquet Winners - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Head To Post Season In Just Second Year Of Modern Franchise History - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Mikhalchuk Signs in the Kontinental Hockey League
- Cougars Announce 2019 Pre-Season Schedule
- Cougars, City of Prince George Renew CN Centre Rental Agreement
- Gauthier, Brennan Invited To Hockey Canada's Program Of Excellence Goaltending Camp
- Prince George Cougars 2019-2020 Season Memberships Now Available