Comets End Season with Loss to Americans, 2-1
Utica, N.Y - The Utica Comets took to the ice for the last time in the 2020-21 season and as the Vancouver Canucks American Hockey League affiliate in Rochester as they drop a 2-1 decision against the Americans at Blue Cross Arena.
In the first period, there was only one goal and it went to Rochester. After Comets rookie goaltender Will Cranley, who was making his first ever professional start, broke his stick, the Amerks took advantage and fired a shot blocker side and in. The shot came off the stick of defenseman Dylan Blujus at 17:06. The first stanza ended with the Comets down 1-0.
The Amerks scored the only goal of the second period after a scramble resulted in the puck bouncing fortuitously to the stick of Brendan Warren who shoveled it just between the post and the left pad of Cranley. The goal scored at 2:10 put Rochester up 2-0.
In the final period of play, the Comets were awarded a penalty shot with 36.5 seconds left after a Rochester player covered his hand on the puck in the crease. Sam Anas stood at center ice, skated in and fired a shot over the glove and in on Amerks goalie Michael Houser. It cut the deficit to 2-1 but ultimately, it wouldn't be enough and the game would conclude with a loss. The season concluded with the Comets holding a record of 16-11-0-1 for 33 points.
For the latest Comets news visit www.uticacomets.com or follow the team on Facebook (www.facebook.com/uticacomets), Twitter (@UticaComets), Instagram (@UticaComets), and the Comets YouTube Channel.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 16, 2021
- Silver Knights Fall in Final Game of the Regular Season in OT - Henderson Silver Knights
- Amerks Top Comets in Regular Season Finale - Rochester Americans
- Roadrunners Wrap Up Regular Season With Ontario Reign, Will Travel To Irvine To Face San Jose In Playoffs - Tucson Roadrunners
- Nine Goals Lift Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose Head into Offseason with 6-1 Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Comets End Season with Loss to Americans, 2-1 - Utica Comets
- Devils Take Down Phantoms in Finale, 4-3 - Binghamton Devils
- Penguins Lose to Bears in Feisty Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- League Champs Go out Winners: Bears Finish Season with 5-2 Victory over Pens - Hershey Bears
- Game #36 Ontario at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Moose, May 16th - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 3 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Utica Comets Stories
- Utica Comets Announce 2021-22 Season Schedule
- Comets Announce Two More Signings
- Comets Sign Two New Jersey Born Players for Upcoming Season
- Comets Announce First Signings in Affiliation with Devils
- American Hockey League Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award