Comeback Claws Rally for Four in Ninth, Win 7-5 in 11 on Friday
ASHEVILLE, NC - The Comeback Claws rallied from 4-1 down in the ninth inning on Thursday and did one better on Friday, coming from 4-0 down in the ninth en route to a 7-5 win in 11 innings at Asheville.
Trailing 4-0, Luke Miller hit a solo home run, his third of the season, before the next three BlueClaws hitters reached base. Jake Holmes then laced a double to left-center to bring home and tie the game at four.
Isamel Cabrera came on in the bottom of ninth for the BlueClaws and stranded the winning run at third base to force the 10th inning.
Hunter Stovall, who began the season with Asheville before a late-April trade to the Phillies, gave the BlueClaws a 5-4 lead with a SAC fly in the 10th. Asheville, however, tied the game in the bottom of the 10th on a Coco Montes RBI double.
Jonathan Guzman reached on a SAC fly/E8 in the 11th to give the BlueClaws the lead and Rafael Marchan added an RBI single to provide the final scoring.
The BlueClaws (27-41) had been 0-31 when trailing after eight innings and are now 2-0 in such games in this series. Asheville falls to 29-39. The four-run deficit overcome by Lakewood marked their largest comeback win of the season (their previous high of three was set on Thursday night).
Isamel Cabrera was the winning pitcher for Lakewood while Luis Carrasco got the three outs for his first save of the season.
Asheville opened the scoring in the first inning on an RBI double from Niko Decolati. The Tourists added two more in the fifth, on a home run by Daniel Montano and double by Terrin Varva.
Lakewood starter Kevin Gowdy gave up three runs in 4.2 innings of work. James McArthurfollowed and gave up one run over three innings while striking out four.
Luis Garcia and Luke Miller each had two hits for the BlueClaws in the win.
The teams continue their series on Saturday night at 6:05 pm. LHP Ethan Lindow starts for Lakewood.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Finishing Issues Creep up for Second Straight Night - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Win 10-Inning Thriller at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Stuns Suns in 11-Inning Thriller Friday - West Virginia Power
- Dogs Can't Complete Rally, Fall to Drive in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Comeback Claws Rally for Four in Ninth, Win 7-5 in 11 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Birds Break Offensive Snide to Throttle Crawdads - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Fall to Power in Extra Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Avant Continues Surge at the Plate on Friday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lexington (Game 64) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 14) - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Home Run Derby Participants Announced - West Virginia Power
- Old Dominion to Headline Major Concert at Fluor Field - Greenville Drive
- Rome Mounts Impressive Comeback in 7-4 Win over Augusta - Rome Braves
- Avant Drills First Homer of Season on Stand up to Cancer Night - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.