'Birds Break Offensive Snide to Throttle Crawdads
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds trounced the Hickory Crawdads 9-2 to snap their five-game losing streak on Friday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
Hector Guance (4-2) earned the win for the Shorebirds (47-20) after throwing 5.1 innings and allowing two runs on just two hits, five walks with five strikeouts. It's Guance's second consecutive win and he has now given up six runs over his past 17.1 innings (3.12 ERA).
Grant Wolfram (1-2) swallowed the loss for the Crawdads (40-24). Wolfram lasted just 1.2 innings, giving up six runs on eight hits, two walks, and three strikeouts. Tyler Joyner collected his sixth save of the year with 3.2 no-hit innings.
The Shorebirds broke the scoring open with a raucous second inning. Ryne Ogren walked to leadoff the frame and Daniel Fajardo singled him over to third. Alexis Torres then shot a single to right to plate Ogren and open the scoring. Will Robertson followed with a single of his own to load the bases. Cadyn Grenier capitalized with a base knock to center, scoring two, and putting Delmarva ahead 3-0. Doran Turchin subsequently blooped a single to right, reloading the bases. Jean Carlos Encarnacion followed by lashing a single to right to bring Robertson home. With the bases still juiced, Nick Horvath grounded out to the pitcher, allowing Grenier to scamper home with the fifth run of the frame. A wild pitch proceeded to follow which let Turchin scramble across the plate pushing the Shorebirds lead to 6-0.
Delmarva extended the cushion in the fourth. Ogren slashed an RBI single to right and Robertson came through with a two-run double, giving the Shorebirds a 9-0 edge.
Hickory avoided the shutout with two runs in the sixth on sacrifice flies from Jaxx Biggers and Matt Whatley, giving the game its final tally of 9-2.
Everybody reached base at least once for Delmarva in the victory. The six straight hits in the second are the most consecutive hits in a game for the Shorebirds this season.
Robertson spearheaded the attack for Delmarva, finishing 3-for-5 with a double and two RBIs. Encarnacion, Grenier, Torres, and Turchin each went 2-for-5, with Grenier adding two RBIs while Encarnacion and Torres tallied one RBI apiece. Ogren and Fajardo each scored and walked twice in 1-for-3 performances.
Despite not getting a hit, Sherten Apostel reached base four times for Hickory, walking three times and getting hit by a pitch. Kole Enright and Frainyer Chavez had the only hits and runs scored in the game for the Crawdads.
The Shorebirds look to string wins together now as they continue their series against the Crawdads Saturday night. Ryan Wilson (1-2, 7.47) gets the nod for Delmarva while Hickory turns to Ronny Henriquez (1-3, 3.98). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with gates opening at 4:00 for batting practice. The first 2,500 fans through the gates at Perdue Stadium Saturday night will receive a 2019 Team Photo while the first 1,000 fans will receive a Delaware State Fair General Admission Ticket presented by the Delaware State Fair. It's Delaware State Fair night at the ballpark and there will be Q105 Fireworks following the game presented by Pepsi. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 6:50 with Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Finishing Issues Creep up for Second Straight Night - Asheville Tourists
- GreenJackets Win 10-Inning Thriller at SRP Park - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Stuns Suns in 11-Inning Thriller Friday - West Virginia Power
- Dogs Can't Complete Rally, Fall to Drive in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Comeback Claws Rally for Four in Ninth, Win 7-5 in 11 on Friday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- 'Birds Break Offensive Snide to Throttle Crawdads - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Suns Fall to Power in Extra Innings - Hagerstown Suns
- Avant Continues Surge at the Plate on Friday Night - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: June 14 vs. Lexington (Game 64) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 14) - West Virginia Power
- 2019 Home Run Derby Participants Announced - West Virginia Power
- Old Dominion to Headline Major Concert at Fluor Field - Greenville Drive
- Rome Mounts Impressive Comeback in 7-4 Win over Augusta - Rome Braves
- Avant Drills First Homer of Season on Stand up to Cancer Night - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.