Columbus Crew SC Signs Captain Jonathan Mensah to Multi-Year Contract Extension
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced it has signed defender Jonathan Mensah to a multi-year contract extension using allocation money beginning in 2021. The 30-year-old is in his fourth season with Crew SC and was named captain of the Club ahead of the 2020 campaign. Mensah has made 95 regular-season appearances (92 starts) for Crew SC and has been the recipient of two Crew SC Defender of the Year awards (2018, 2019) and one OhioHealth Humanitarian of the Year award (2017).
"We are thrilled to announce that Jonathan has signed a multi-year contract extension with the Club," said Crew SC President and General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "In addition to having a 'Defender of the Year' award-worthy season in 2020 and consistently being one of the top defenders in MLS, Jonathan is someone who leads by example and serves as a role model to the younger players. He has earned the respect of teammates, coaches and the Central Ohio community alike for his efforts on and off the field and we are delighted that he has committed to remain in Columbus."
Mensah was signed by Crew SC on January 3, 2017 and went on to make 26 regular-season appearances (25 starts) while scoring two goals and providing one assist for the Crew in his first season with the Club. The Ghanaian defender followed up his first season by making 27 regular-season appearances (26 starts) and scoring one goal the following year en route to earning his first Crew SC Defender of the Year award. In 2019, Mensah made 24 regular-season appearances (23 starts) and was once again named the Club's Defender of the Year.
The defender was named captain of the Club ahead of the 2020 MLS season. This year, Mensah has made 18 regular-season appearances (all starts), playing every minute of every regular-season match for the Crew. Notably, Mensah has completed 1,022 passes in regular-season action in 2020, more than any other player in MLS. The defender also leads the League in blocks (21), clearances (89) and is tied for second-most headed clearances (48).
At the international level, Mensah has earned 58 caps for the Ghana National Team since making his debut as a substitute in a in a 2010 friendly match against Bosnia-Herzegovina (March 3). Since then, he has participated in the following competitions: the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations, the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations and the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations.
At the youth level, Mensah represented Ghana at the Under-20 level, helping the Black Stars win the 2009 African Youth Championship and the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup.
Up next, Crew SC travels to face the Houston Dynamo at BBVA Stadium on Saturday, October 24 [8:00 p.m. ET / SportsTime Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC signs defender Jonathan Mensah to a multi-year contract extension using allocation money beginning in 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 22, 2020
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field - Portland Timbers
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Orlando City SC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Nashville SC - New England Revolution
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 24, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Attack Clicks in Decisive Win over FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs Portland Timbers - October 22, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Homegrowns Cole Bassett, Sam Vines Leading the Way for Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Captain Jonathan Mensah to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Columbus Crew SC
- "Together We Rise": Columbus Crew SC Tickets for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Launches Developmental Second Team, Columbus Crew 2
- Columbus Crew Re-Signs Goalkeeper Eloy Room
- Columbus Crew Forward Gyasi Zardes to Join United States Men's National Team for International Friendly
- Columbus Crew Signs Midfielder Lucas Zelarayan to New Multi-Year Contract
- Columbus Crew Announces End-Of-2021 Roster Decisions