Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020
COMMERCE CITY, COLO. - The Colorado Rapids (5-4-4, 19 points) return to action on Saturday, Oct. 24, when they visit Sporting Kansas City (9-6-3, 30 points). Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. MT at Children's Mercy Park.
Saturday's match will be the Rapids' first in a month following safety precautions due to COVID-19.
"It'll be certainly exciting to be playing games again. It's been a long stretch for us, obviously several interruptions," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said. "Games at Kansas City are always tough. They're a very good team, very well organized and they play very well at home. For us it's just a matter of trying to get into a rhythm as quickly as possible."
The Rapids enter the match on a two-game winning streak. Colorado shutout the LA Galaxy, 2-0, on Sept. 19 before a dominant 5-0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes on Sept. 23. 19-year-old Homegrown Cole Bassett had a goal and an assist, while Jonathan Lewis, NicolÃ¡s Mezquida and Andre Shinyashiki also scored. Defender Jack Price picked up two assists, and Kellyn Acosta and Auston Trusty added helpers as well. Goalkeeper William Yarbrough made four saves to earn his third consecutive clean sheet.
Colorado's 5-0 win matched the largest margin of victory in club history, set in a 5-0 win over Real Salt Lake on Sept. 12.
Bassett, a Littleton native, and fellow Homegrown Sam Vines, of Colorado Springs, were named to MLS 22 Under 22 this week. Bassett is tied with Price for the team lead with four assists to go with his four goals, while Vines has played every minute for the Rapids this season. Lewis leads the team with five goals.
Sporting enters the match following a 2-2 draw at the Chicago Fire on Saturday. Eric Hurtado and Gadi Kinda scored, but Chicago's Djordje Mihailovic equalized on the game's last play. Johnny Russell leads the team with six goals and four assists, and Alan Pulido has five goals and four assists.
This is the third meeting of the season between these teams. Sporting won a closely contested match at the MLS is Back Tournament in Orlando, Fla., and the teams drew, 1-1, at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on Aug. 29.
Saturday's match will be broadcast on Altitude and can be streamed on MLS LIVE on ESPN+. Fans can also tune in on Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM.
Colorado faces heavy slate of five games in 16 days to close out the regular season. The Rapids visit Minnesota United on Wednesday, Oct. 28, before returning to DICK'S Sporting Goods Park on Sunday, Nov. 1, to host the Seattle Sounders.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 22, 2020
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field - Portland Timbers
- Storylines: City vs. Inter Miami CF - Orlando City SC
- Inter Miami CF to Host Orlando City SC on Saturday - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Nashville SC - New England Revolution
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 24, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Nashville SC Attack Clicks in Decisive Win over FC Dallas - Nashville SC
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs Portland Timbers - October 22, 2020 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Homegrowns Cole Bassett, Sam Vines Leading the Way for Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Captain Jonathan Mensah to Multi-Year Contract Extension - Columbus Crew SC
- "Together We Rise": Columbus Crew SC Tickets for Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Now on Sale - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: November 22, 2020