Columbus Crew Announces Call-Ups for September International Window
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that two players have earned an international call-up ahead of the September international window: Liam Fraser (Canada) and Jonathan Mensah (Ghana).
Fraser is set to join his national team for three matches in the Third Round of Concacaf qualification for the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Fraser and Canada open their Third Round campaign when they welcome Honduras to BMO Field in Toronto, Canada on September 2, before traveling to face the United States at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee on September 5. The Canucks then return to Toronto to host El Salvador at BMO Field on September 8.
Fraser, 23, has earned eight caps with the Canada National Team, most recently appearing in a Concacaf Gold Cup Quarterfinal Round match against Costa Rica on July 25, 2021. This year, the midfielder has made 12 regular-season appearances (eight starts) with the Crew.
Mensah will represent Ghana in CAF group-stage action as part of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers. The Black Stars are in Group G, alongside Ethiopia, South Africa and Zimbabwe. Ghana first hosts Ethiopia on September 3 at Cape Coast Sports Stadium in Cape Coast, Ghana, before traveling to Johannesburg, South Africa to face South Africa on September 6 at FNB Stadium.
Mensah has earned 60 caps for Ghana, last appearing in an Africa Cup of Nations Group Stage match against Cameroon on June 29, 2019. In 2021, Mensah has made 21 regular-season appearances (20 starts) while scoring two goals for the Black & Gold.
Columbus Crew's current roster features 11 players that have received a senior National Team call-up: Harrison Afful, Luis Diaz, Derrick Etienne, Jr., Waylon Francis, Liam Fraser, Perry Kitchen, Jonathan Mensah, Kevin Molino, Darlington Nagbe, Eloy Room and Gyasi Zardes.
Up next, the Crew travels to face Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Saturday, September 4 [7:30 p.m. ET / Bally Sports Ohio / 97.1 FM The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English), ColumbusCrew.com (Spanish)] with coverage beginning on Bally Sports Ohio at 7:00 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 31, 2021
- Timbers Midfielder Eryk Williamson to Miss Remainder of Season - Portland Timbers
- Emi Ochoa Called to Mexico U-18 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Sign Midfielder Kyle Scott - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew Announces Call-Ups for September International Window - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls-NYCFC Match Rescheduled for September 22 - New York Red Bulls
- LA Galaxy Defender Oniel Fisher Called up to Jamaica Men's National Team - LA Galaxy
- Timbers, Thorns FC Team up with Local Partners to Celebrate 10th Anniversary of Stand Together Week September 5-11 - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Announces Two More International Call-Ups Ahead of World Cup Qualifiers - Nashville SC
- The Pitch: 74 MLS Players Called to Represent National Teams for World Cup Qualifying - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Loan Midfielder Jack de Vries to Venezia FC - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Academy Celebrates Academy Signing Night at OhioHealth Performance Center
- Columbus Crew to Celebrate "On Our Sleeves Night" in Support of Nationwide Children's Hospital at Lower.com Field on Saturday
- Columbus Crew's Home, Lower.com Field, Named Winner of 2021 James B. Recchie Design Award
- Columbus Crew Announces Call-Ups for October International Window
- Columbus Crew Defeats LIGA MX Champion Cruz Azul to Claim 2021 Campeones Cup