Columbus Crew Acquires Ghanaian Winger Yaw Yeboah from Wisla Krakow
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew today announced that it has acquired Ghanaian winger Yaw Yeboah [pronounced: YAO yeh-BO-wah] from Wisla Krakow of the Polish First Division utilizing Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The 24-year-old will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa, and will occupy an international roster slot on the Crew's roster. His contract with the Club will run through the 2024 season with an option for 2025.
"We are thrilled to welcome Yaw to Columbus," said Columbus Crew President & General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "Yaw is a young winger whose dynamic style of play has made him one of the most exciting up-and-coming players in the Ekstraklasa during his time in Poland. In addition to playing in some of the top leagues in Europe, Yaw also brings valuable international experience with the Ghanaian National Team. We believe his addition to our roster will strengthen our attack and help us increase production out wide."
MEDIA ASSETS: Soundbytes, highlights and images of Yaw Yeboah available for media use here (please provide courtesy to Columbus Crew)
Yeboah joined Wisla Krakow in August of 2020 and appeared in 50 matches across all competitions with the club, scoring 10 goals and providing five assists over the past two seasons. In August of 2021, he was named the Ekstraklasa Player of the Month while his game-winning goal against Gornik Leczna (August 21) was awarded Goal of the Month.
A graduate of Ghana's famed Right to Dream Academy, Yeboah signed with Manchester City in 2014 at the age of 17. While on loan from 2014-18, Yeboah competed for LOSC Lille of France's Ligue 1, FC Twente of the Dutch Eredivisie and Real Oviedo of the Spanish Segunda Division.
The winger signed with CD Numancia of Spain's Second Division in July of 2018, scoring two goals in 34 matches before going on loan to RC Celta de Vigo of Spain's La Liga. Yeboah scored five goals in 20 matches for Celta de Vigo B before making the move to Poland.
In all, the 24-year-old has scored 19 goals in 170 appearances as a professional across all competitions.
At the international level, the Accra, Ghana native has earned four caps with the Ghanaian Men's National Team since making his debut in an international friendly against Namibia in 2019 (June 9). The winger has also represented Ghana at the Under-23 and U-20 levels, featuring at the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup as well as helping the Black Stars to a third-place finish at the 2015 African U-20 Championship where he was named the Man of the Tournament.
Crew players are set to report for entrance physicals and testing on January 16 before departing for a training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, from January 18-28. With the seasonal bubble currently encompassing the field at Historic Crew Stadium, the Crew will train in-market from February 1-6 at the OhioHealth Performance Center prior to traveling to Charleston, South Carolina, for the second trip of the preseason from February 7-19.
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's 27th in MLS and the first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have a number of options as Season Ticket Members for 2022, which include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative. Supporters interested in securing Season Ticket Memberships or placing deposits for the 2022 MLS season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
Fans can also purchase Nine-Match Ticket Plans by placing a deposit for as little as $100, providing fans limited game selection flexibility and access to pre-sales. Fans wanting to attend matches with single-match tickets can sign up for single match ticket priority which will give access to purchase before the general public.
The Crew's current roster headed into 2022, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (1): Eloy Room
Defenders (3): Jonathan Mensah, Steven Moreira, Josh Williams
Midfielders (14): Artur, Sebastian Berhalter, Luis Diaz, Derrick Etienne, Jr., Marlon Hairston, Perry Kitchen, Alex Matan, Kevin Molino, Aidan Morris, Darlington Nagbe, Isaiah Parente, Pedro Santos, Yaw Yeboah, Lucas Zelarayan
Forwards (2): Miguel Berry, Gyasi Zardes
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew acquires winger Yaw Yeboah from Polish Ekstraklasa side Wisla Krakow utilizing Targeted Allocation Money on January 6, 2022. His contract with the Club will run through the 2024 season with an option for 2025.
Name: Yaw Yeboah [YAO yeh-BO-wah]
Born: March 28, 1997 in Accra, Ghana
Hometown: Accra, Ghana
Acquired: Acquired by Columbus Crew on January 6, 2022.
Previous Experience: Wisla Krakow (2020-2021), RC Celta de Vigo (2019-2020), CD Numancia (2018-2020), Real Oviedo (2017-2018), FC Twente (2016-2017), LOSC Lille (2015-2016), Manchester City FC (2014-2018)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 6, 2022
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Slovakian Midfielder Jan Gregus - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Kelvin Leerdam - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Winger Paul Arriola Selected by Gregg Berhalter for USMNT Camp in Phoenix in January - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Two Players Called up for International Duty - New York City FC
- Walker Zimmerman Called in to United States Men's National Team January Camp - Nashville SC
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by the United States National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Matt Turner, Sebastian Lletget, and DeJuan Jones Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for January Preparation Camp - New England Revolution
- Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp - Chicago Fire FC
- Midfielder Jackson Yueill Called to U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Called into National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- George Bello, Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Called up to United States Men's National Team for January Training Camp - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Brazilian Midfielder Max Alves - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Acquires Ghanaian Winger Yaw Yeboah from Wisla Krakow - Columbus Crew SC
- Eight Standout Collegians Comprise 2022 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Canada-Guatemala Match Cancelled - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Priority to Chris Hegardt - Seattle Sounders FC
- Charlotte FC Signs Georgetown Midfielder Chris Hegardt in Exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Seattle Sounders FC - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender John Nelson - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Signs Columbus Crew 2 Forward Jacen Russell-Rowe
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field the Place to be for Holiday Weekend on July 1 & 3
- Columbus Crew Acquires 23-Year-Old Forward Juan Camilo "Cucho" Hernandez in Record Transaction
- Columbus Crew Names Heidi Dettmer as Chief Marketing Officer
- Columbus Crew Celebrates "Soccer for All" During the Month of June