Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC today announced that Homegrown goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina was named to the U.S. Men's National Team's January Preparation Camp from Jan. 7-21, ahead of the USMNT's three upcoming FIFA World Cup qualifying matches in the January and February International Window.
Slonina earned his first USMNT call up in December, when he joined the squad in Carson, Calif., ahead of the 1-0 win against Bosnia and Herzegovina on Saturday, Dec. 18 at Dignity Health Sports Park. Prior to being called to the senior USMNT, Slonina had represented the U.S. Youth National Teams at the U-14, U-17 and U-20 level.
The U.S. will kick off the next series of qualifying matches against El Salvador at 6:30 p.m. CT on Thursday, Jan. 27 at Lower.com Field in Columbus, Ohio. The team will then travel to face Canada on 2:00 p.m. CT on Sunday, Jan. 30 at Tim Horton Field in Hamilton, Canada. The USMNT will then face off against Honduras at 6:30 p.m. CT on Wednesday, Feb. 2 at Allianz Field in St. Paul, Minn. The final roster for the qualifying matches will be named following the conclusion of training camp.
Slonina became the youngest goalkeeper in MLS history to start a match and earn a shutout when he made his professional debut against New York City FC on Wednesday, Aug. 4 at Soldier Field, keeping his first clean sheet in the 0-0 tie. He finished the season with 11 appearances (11 starts), 45 saves and four shutouts.
The young goalkeeper became the 13th Homegrown player to sign with the Chicago Fire on March 8, 2019 after spending three seasons with the Chicago Fire Academy.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 6, 2022
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Slovakian Midfielder Jan Gregus - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Kelvin Leerdam - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Winger Paul Arriola Selected by Gregg Berhalter for USMNT Camp in Phoenix in January - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Two Players Called up for International Duty - New York City FC
- Walker Zimmerman Called in to United States Men's National Team January Camp - Nashville SC
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by the United States National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Matt Turner, Sebastian Lletget, and DeJuan Jones Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for January Preparation Camp - New England Revolution
- Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp - Chicago Fire FC
- Midfielder Jackson Yueill Called to U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Called into National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- George Bello, Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Called up to United States Men's National Team for January Training Camp - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Brazilian Midfielder Max Alves - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Acquires Ghanaian Winger Yaw Yeboah from Wisla Krakow - Columbus Crew SC
- Eight Standout Collegians Comprise 2022 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Canada-Guatemala Match Cancelled - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Priority to Chris Hegardt - Seattle Sounders FC
- Charlotte FC Signs Georgetown Midfielder Chris Hegardt in Exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Seattle Sounders FC - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender John Nelson - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire FC Stories
- Chicago Fire FC to Host Philadelphia Union on Wednesday Before Traveling to Face San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 2-0 to Houston Dynamo FC
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Wyatt Omsberg Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery
- Mayor Lightfoot and First Lady Eshleman Announce Series of Events to Commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Passage of Title IX
- Weekly Update: Chicago Fire FC to Travel to Face Western Conference Rival Houston Dynamo at PNC Stadium on Saturday