Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups
COLUMBUS - The Columbus Crew today announced that defender Jonathan Mensah (Ghana) and forward Gyasi Zardes (United States) have earned international call-ups for their respective national teams.
Mensah will represent Ghana in the 2021 African Cup of Nations in Cameroon, which begins this weekend. The Black Stars are in Group C alongside Comoros, Gabon and Morocco. Ghana begins the tournament against Morocco on January 10, before taking on Gabon on January 14 and Comoros on January 18.
The Crew captain made his international debut on May 31, 2009, in a contest against Uganda, and has since earned 65 total caps for Ghana. Mensah's most recent international appearance for the Black Stars came this week in a friendly against Algeria on January 5.
In 2021, Mensah appeared in 29 MLS matches, scoring two goals and providing one assist. He additionally scored the second goal in the Crew's 2-0 victory over Cruz Azul, helping the Club capture the 2021 Campeones Cup title.
Zardes has been selected for the U.S. Men's National Team's annual January Training Camp, which is slated to take place from January 7-21 in Phoenix, Arizona.
The 30-year-old has earned 66 caps for the United States and tallied 14 international goals and 10 assists. Zardes' most recent cap came on December 18, 2021, in an international friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park, will again play host to the U.S. Men's National Team for a crucial 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against El Salvador on January 27. Information on applying for media credentials through U.S. Soccer can be found here. The deadline to apply is January 17.
Crew players are set to report for entrance physicals and testing on January 16 before departing for a training camp in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, from January 18-28. With the seasonal bubble currently encompassing the field at Historic Crew Stadium, the Crew will train in-market from February 1-6 at the OhioHealth Performance Center prior to traveling to Charleston, South Carolina, for the second trip of the preseason from February 7-19.
The Black & Gold are set to open the 2022 MLS season by hosting Vancouver Whitecaps FC at Lower.com Field in Opening Match on Saturday, February 26 at 3:30 p.m. ET. Following the home opener, the Crew hits the road and travels to face the San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park on March 5 for the first away match of the season. The Crew's full schedule for the 2022 MLS regular season can be found at ColumbusCrew.com.
The 2022 season will be the Black & Gold's first full season at Lower.com Field, located in Astor Park. Fans looking to experience Crew matches have a number of options as Season Ticket Members for 2022, which include benefits such as private, member-only events; a 10 percent discount at the Crew Shop; monthly, interest-free payment plans; the ability to purchase discounted parking; pre-sale access to all events at Lower.com Field, Historic Crew Stadium and FirstEnergy Stadium; and a dedicated account manager and service representative. Supporters interested in securing Season Ticket Memberships or placing deposits for the 2022 MLS season can call 614-447-2739, visit columbuscrew.com/tickets or email email@example.com to get connected with a Ticket Sales Representative.
Fans can also purchase Nine-Match Ticket Plans by placing a deposit for as little as $100, providing fans limited game selection flexibility and access to pre-sales. Fans wanting to attend matches with single match tickets can sign up for single match ticket priority which will give access to purchase before the general public.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 6, 2022
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Slovakian Midfielder Jan Gregus - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Kelvin Leerdam - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Winger Paul Arriola Selected by Gregg Berhalter for USMNT Camp in Phoenix in January - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Two Players Called up for International Duty - New York City FC
- Walker Zimmerman Called in to United States Men's National Team January Camp - Nashville SC
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by the United States National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Matt Turner, Sebastian Lletget, and DeJuan Jones Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for January Preparation Camp - New England Revolution
- Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp - Chicago Fire FC
- Midfielder Jackson Yueill Called to U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Called into National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- George Bello, Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Called up to United States Men's National Team for January Training Camp - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Brazilian Midfielder Max Alves - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Acquires Ghanaian Winger Yaw Yeboah from Wisla Krakow - Columbus Crew SC
- Eight Standout Collegians Comprise 2022 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Canada-Guatemala Match Cancelled - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Priority to Chris Hegardt - Seattle Sounders FC
- Charlotte FC Signs Georgetown Midfielder Chris Hegardt in Exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Seattle Sounders FC - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender John Nelson - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew Signs Columbus Crew 2 Forward Jacen Russell-Rowe
- Columbus Crew's Lower.com Field the Place to be for Holiday Weekend on July 1 & 3
- Columbus Crew Acquires 23-Year-Old Forward Juan Camilo "Cucho" Hernandez in Record Transaction
- Columbus Crew Names Heidi Dettmer as Chief Marketing Officer
- Columbus Crew Celebrates "Soccer for All" During the Month of June