LA Galaxy Sign Defender Kelvin Leerdam
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy today announced that the club has signed free agent defender Kelvin Leerdam to a two-year contract through the end of the 2023 MLS regular season with a club option for 2024. Leerdam, who holds a U.S. Green Card, will not occupy an international roster slot.
Leerdam, 31, joins the Galaxy having tallied nine goals and 13 assists in 120 MLS regular-season appearances (102 starts) over the past five seasons (2017 - Present). The Paramaribo, Suriname, native began his MLS career with Seattle Sounders FC, where he notched nine goals and 12 assists in 91 league appearances (84 starts) across four seasons (2017-20). Additionally, Leerdam tallied one goal in 14 postseason appearances (11 starts) for Seattle, helping the Sounders win MLS Cup in 2019 and three Western Conference Championships (2017, 2019, 2020).
"Kelvin is an experienced, championship-winning player and we are pleased to bring him to our club," said LA Galaxy Head Coach Greg Vanney. "His quality provides more depth and versatility to our roster and we look forward to him playing an important role in the team."
Last season, Leerdam registered one assist in 29 regular-season appearances (18 starts) for Inter Miami CF during the 2021 campaign. Prior to his time in MLS, Leerdam spent the first nine seasons of his career in the Netherlands playing for Feyenoord and SBV Vitesse in the Eredivisie. The defender began his career at Feyenoord (2008-13), where he made 97 appearances and tallied four goals and 10 assists in the Eredivisie.
"We are excited to add Kelvin's experience and winning mentality to our team and we believe he will integrate quickly into our group," said LA Galaxy Technical Director Jovan Kirovski.
After leaving Feyenoord, Leerdam joined SBV Vitesse (2013-17), where he notched 13 goals and nine assists in 106 games across all competitions. Notably, Leerdam helped Vitesse win the 2017 KNVB Cup, the domestic cup competition in the Netherlands.
At the international level, Leerdam has made seven appearances for the Suriname Men's National Team since starting and registering an assist in a 3-0 win over the Cayman Islands in a Concacaf World Cup Qualifier on March 24, 2021. In his most recent appearance for Suriname, Leerdam started and played 90 minutes in a 2-1 win over Guadeloupe in the 2021 Gold Cup on July 21, 2021.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign free agent defender Kelvin Leerdam to a two-year contract through the end of the 2023 MLS regular season plus a club option for 2024 on Jan. 6, 2022.
Date Of Birth: June 24, 1990
Birthplace: Paramaribo, Suriname
Last Club: Inter Miami CF
Acquired: Signed to a two-year contract through the end of the 2023 MLS regular season plus a club option for 2024 on Jan. 6, 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 6, 2022
- Three Sounders FC Players Called into International Duty - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Sign Slovakian Midfielder Jan Gregus - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Kelvin Leerdam - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Winger Paul Arriola Selected by Gregg Berhalter for USMNT Camp in Phoenix in January - D.C. United
- Columbus Crew Announces Pair of International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Two Players Called up for International Duty - New York City FC
- Walker Zimmerman Called in to United States Men's National Team January Camp - Nashville SC
- Djordje Mihailovic Called up by the United States National Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Matt Turner, Sebastian Lletget, and DeJuan Jones Named to United States Men's National Team Roster for January Preparation Camp - New England Revolution
- Homegrown Goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina Called to U.S. Men's National Team Training Camp - Chicago Fire FC
- Midfielder Jackson Yueill Called to U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Called into National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- George Bello, Brooks Lennon and Miles Robinson Called up to United States Men's National Team for January Training Camp - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Sign Brazilian Midfielder Max Alves - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces 2022 Preseason Schedule - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew Acquires Ghanaian Winger Yaw Yeboah from Wisla Krakow - Columbus Crew SC
- Eight Standout Collegians Comprise 2022 Generation adidas Class - MLS
- Canada-Guatemala Match Cancelled - Inter Miami CF
- Sounders FC Receives $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Charlotte FC in Exchange for Priority to Chris Hegardt - Seattle Sounders FC
- Charlotte FC Signs Georgetown Midfielder Chris Hegardt in Exchange for $50,000 in General Allocation Money from Seattle Sounders FC - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Defender John Nelson - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming Details for Home Match against Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, June 29
- LA Galaxy's June 25 Road Match against San Jose Earthquakes at Stanford Stadium Rescheduled for September 24
- LA Galaxy Fall 2-1 to Sacramento Republic FC in Quarterfinal Round of 2022 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Liga MX and TUDN Announce Sellout for Campeón de Campeones Presentado Por Target on June 26 at Dignity Health Sports Park
- LA Galaxy Battle Back to Earn 1-1 Draw Against Portland Timbers at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday Afternoon