Claws Hold off Suns for Second Straight Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Robinson Martinez got the last six outs for his first save and the BlueClaws held off Hagerstown 4-3 on Monday for their second straight win.
The BlueClaws (2-3) have won back to back games after dropping the first three of their season while the Suns fell to 1-4 on the year.
Martinez threw a scoreless eighth and then a 1-2-3 ninth inning for his second professional save. Ethan Evanko (1-0) threw a scoreless fourth with three strikeouts to earn the victory.
The BlueClaws broke through to tie the game with a pair of runs in the fourth on a two-run single from Abrahan Gutierrez before Jake Holmes gave Lakewood the lead with an RBI single of his own. A fielding error by Hagerstown on a groundball from Yerwin Trejo allowed Gutierrez to score and extend the lead to 4-2.
The Suns got a run back in the seventh when Israel Pineda singled in a run off James McArthur.
McArthur, a right-hander from Ole Miss, gave up one run over three innings in relief.
The Suns took a 2-0 lead in the third in an inning in which they got only an infield hit and three walks from Kevin Gowdy. Gowdy, making his first start of the year, gave up two runs in three innings and did not factor in the decision.
The teams continue their three-game series on Tuesday night at 6:35 pm. LHP Ethan Lindowstarts for Lakewood opposite RHP Tomas Alastre.
Images from this story
Jake Holmes at bat for the Lakewood BlueClaws
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 8, 2019
- Powered by Five-Run Third Inning, Lexington Beats West Virginia 6-1 - Lexington Legends
- Moyers Strikes out Eight in 6-1 Loss to Legends - West Virginia Power
- Middle Inning Woes Continue to Haunt Suns - Hagerstown Suns
- Claws Hold off Suns for Second Straight Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- RiverDogs' Monday Opener Postponed in Asheville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rain Follows Shorebirds to K-Town - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Tonight's Tourists Game Postponed Due to Inclement Weather - Asheville Tourists
- Monday's Game Between Drive and GreenJackets Postponed - Greenville Drive
- Making Fun, RiverDogs Open Home Slate to Showcase NBA Stars, Man's Best Friend and More - Charleston RiverDogs
- Game Notes (April 8) - West Virginia Power
- Power to Host MLB Jr. Home Run Derby April 27 - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Chris Singleton, Brooke Swetenburg Join RiverDogs Community Relations Staff - Charleston RiverDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Pitching Sharp But Claws Fall 2-1 at Greensboro
- Martin Stuns Claws Twice with Sunday Walk-Off Home Runs
- Case Dismisses Claws Again as Hoppers Win 4-0 on Saturday
- Four Hoppers Homers Give Greensboro Series-Opening Win
- Walk-Off Wild Pitch Caps BlueClaws Series Sweep