CHL Awards Banquet Showcases League's Best
The Central Hockey League's 15th annual Summer Conference concluded on Saturday night with the league's awards banquet honoring the top front office executives and team achievements from the 2009-10 season. Accompanying their on-ice success, the CHL Ray Miron Presidents' Cup Champion Rapid City Rush were named the CHL Franchise of the Year.
The Colorado Eagles and the Missouri Mavericks shared the honor of winning the most awards taking home three wins apiece. The Eagles earned the CHL Ticketing Franchise of the Year after continuing their franchise-long sellout streak and took home two individual honors with J.P. Puma winning the CHL Communications Executive of the Year and Gavin Riches winning the CHL Corporate Partnership Executive of the Year for the third straight season. The Mavericks won team honors as the CHL Merchandising Franchise of the Year and the CHL Group Ticket Sales Franchise of the Year while team broadcaster, Bob Rennison, won the Ralph Backstrom Soul of Service Award recognizing outstanding customer service.
The top individual award, the Brad Treliving CHL Executive of the Year, was presented by the person whose name the award carries and who currently serves as the Assistant General Manager of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes to Grant 'Bucky' Buckborough of the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees.
The 2009-10 Central Hockey League Rick Kozuback Award, named for the former President of the Western Professional Hockey League and current President/CEO of Global Entertainment Corporation (the CHL's parent company), was presented to Jason Duda of the Wichita Thunder. The award is 'presented annually to the Central Hockey League owner, front office staff member, coach or player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, determination and commitment to the game, sport and business of hockey.'
The Commissioner of the CHL, Duane Lewis, was named the Global Entertainment Corporation Employee of the Year.
The entire list of award winners is below:
Rick Kozuback Award - Jason Duda, Wichita Thunder
Ralph Backstrom Soul of Service Award - Bob Rennison, Missouri Mavericks
CHL Game Operations Franchise of the Year - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
CHL Merchandising Franchise of the Year - Missouri Mavericks
CHL Community Relations Franchise of the Year - Odessa Jackalopes
CHL Broadcaster of the Year - Travis Huntington, Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
CHL Communications Executive of the Year - J.P. Puma, Colorado Eagles
CHL Corporate Partnership Executive of the Year - Gavin Riches, Colorado Eagles
CHL Group Sales Franchise of the Year - Missouri Mavericks
CHL Ticketing Executive of the Year - Trevor Bowers, Rapid City Rush
CHL Ticket Sales Franchise of the Year - Colorado Eagles
CHL Leadership Award - Glen Hart, Laredo Bucks
Brad Treliving CHL Executive of the Year - Grant Buckborough, Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
CHL Franchise of the Year - Rapid City Rush
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Americans Hook Their Horn, Colton Yellow Horn Back with Southern - Allen Americans
- Scott Wray Makes Surprise Visit to Local School with President's Cup - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Awards Banquet Showcases League's Best - Colorado Eagles
- CHL Wraps up Summer Meetings, 2009-10 Season with Awards Banquet - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks' Owner Glenn Hart Wins CHL Leadership Award - Laredo Bucks
- Jackalopes Honored at CHL Summer Meetings - Odessa Jackalopes
- Duda Receives Rick Kozuback Award - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Earn Three Awards at CHL's Summer Conference - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Awards Banquet Showcases League's Best - CHL
- Bucks' Ruskowski Featured on "Puska on Pucks" - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Named Central Hockey Leagues Franchise Of The Year - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.