Bucks' Owner Glenn Hart Wins CHL Leadership Award
LAREDO, TX- Laredo Bucks Majority Owner Glenn Hart was honored with the CHL Leadership award Saturday night (June 5th) at the Central Hockey League's annual summer conference in Phoenix, Arizona.
The award is Hart's third CHL honor, as he won the 2004-05 Leadership Award, along with the 2005-06 Rick Kozuback Award.
Along with Hart's win the Bucks were also nominated for the CHL Group Sales Franchise of the year, and CHL Corporate Partnership Executive of the year (Donald Thomson).
"The CHL Leadership Award means a lot to me because it comes from the Commissioner and his staff," Hart said. "I have tremendous respect for the League's Management Team."
"There is no doubt in my mind that Glenn Hart is the best owner in our league," said Bucks President/General Manager and Head Coach Terry Ruskowski. "Glenn deserves to win this award every year because he truly is a great leader and he puts us in position to be successful both on and off the ice."
In Hart's eight seasons as the Bucks owner the team has thrived, winning two CHL President's Cup Championships, while capturing 10 CHL awards and consistently placing in the top five in the league in attendance, season ticket sales, and corporate partnership sales among other aspects. Last season the Bucks led the entire CHL in corporate partnership sales.
"I have been blessed to be an owner in the IHL (when it was the highest league in the world outside the NHL), the WPHL, AAA Baseball, and AF2, and the CHL is by far, the best run league I have been a part of in my 17 years as a sports team owner," Hart said. "All I try to do to serve the league is to share the benefit of all of the positive lessons I have learned from other people and situations, as well as the mistakes that I have made and seen others make."
This past season the Bucks made history as they became the first CHL team to host the All-Star game twice in the same venue (Laredo Entertainment Center: 2005, 2010). On January 13th nearly 4,000 fans were on hand while the game was televised to nearly 10 million homes on the America One Network.
The Bucks also continued to have a strong presence in the Laredo community during the 2009-10 season. The Bucks have attended over 150 community events in 2010 and have donated over $70,000 to local charities since April of 2007.
In March of 2010 Hart's company, Laredo Energy, purchased the naming rights to the then-Laredo Entertainment Center giving the building a different name for the first time in its eight-year history. Hart also pledged that hockey would stay in Laredo for many years to come.
"From my sharing of my experiences, I hope to help the CHL continue to grow and prosper," Hart said. "After all, a healthy CHL makes our own beloved Laredo Bucks more successful!"
The Bucks will start their ninth CHL season in October 2010. Season tickets are on sale now for the 2010-11 season. Call 718-BUCK (2825) to place our order now.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from June 7, 2010
- Americans Hook Their Horn, Colton Yellow Horn Back with Southern - Allen Americans
- Scott Wray Makes Surprise Visit to Local School with President's Cup - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Awards Banquet Showcases League's Best - Colorado Eagles
- CHL Wraps up Summer Meetings, 2009-10 Season with Awards Banquet - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks' Owner Glenn Hart Wins CHL Leadership Award - Laredo Bucks
- Jackalopes Honored at CHL Summer Meetings - Odessa Jackalopes
- Duda Receives Rick Kozuback Award - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Earn Three Awards at CHL's Summer Conference - Kansas City Mavericks
- CHL Awards Banquet Showcases League's Best - CHL
- Bucks' Ruskowski Featured on "Puska on Pucks" - Laredo Bucks
- Rush Named Central Hockey Leagues Franchise Of The Year - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.