Chiefs Make Two Picks in 2021 CHL Import Draft
The Spokane Chiefs made two selections in the 2021 CHL Import Draft, picking defenseman Timofei Kovgorenya (2003) of Belarus with the 17th overall pick and forward Yannick Proske (2003) of Germany at 110th.
Kovgorenya, a 6-foot-3, 203-pound right shot defenseman from Minsk, posted seven goals and nine assists for 16 points in 26 games with the Minsk Bison of the Vysshaya Liga, Belarus' developmental league. Despite being just 17 years old, he also appeared in 17 games for the Dynamo Molodechno in the Extraleague, the top professional league in Belarus.
Unafraid to mix it up, the big blueliner picked up 108 PIM in two seasons with the Minsk Bison.
Proske is a 6-foot-2, 187-pound center from Weißwasser, Germany. Last season he played 25 games with the Iserlohn Roosters of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL), the top professional league in Germany.
He also wore an 'A' as an alternate captain for Team Germany at the 2021 IIHF U18 World Championship in Texas, scoring two points (1G-1A) in 7 games.
Kovgorenya and Proske are both the first players ever selected by the Chiefs from their respective countries.
The Chiefs will retain the rights to goaltender Lukas Parik (2001) and defenseman David Jiricek (2003) of the Czech Republic. Parik starred for the Chiefs during the 2019-20 season before the COVID-19 pandemic, playing the 2020-21 season on loan to the USHL. Jiricek was the Chiefs' first-round (54th overall) pick in the 2020 CHL Import Draft and stood out for the Czechs at the 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship. Both are eligible to join the Chiefs for the 2021-22 season.
WHL clubs are allowed two import players on their roster and must be under the limit within 14 days of the team's first regular season game.
The Chiefs' 2021-22 regular season will begin on Saturday, October 2 as they host the Tri-City Americans at Spokane Arena. Ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are available now! With options starting at just $80, there's an option to fit every budget and schedule.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 30, 2021
- Silvertips Select RW Niko Huuhtanen of Finland, Second Overall in the 2021 CHL Import Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Kamloops Blazers Statement on President & COO, Don Moores - Kamloops Blazers
- Blades Add Two European Forwards in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Bocharov to Represent USA at the 2021 Hlinka Gretzky Cup - Saskatoon Blades
- Americans Select Moravec in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Hitmen Select Two Players in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- WHL Clubs Select 32 Players from 12 Countries in 2021 CHL Import Draft - WHL
- Cougars Select Two Players in CHL Import Draft - Prince George Cougars
- T-Birds Select Alessandro Segafredo and Leon Okonkwo Prada in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Broncos Add Forward and Defenceman in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Select Two in 2021 Import Draft - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels' Import Draft Selection Has Excelled While Competing against Older Players - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Make Two Picks in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Spokane Chiefs
- Mallette Inks Extension - Kelowna Rockets
- Victoria Royals Select Sebastian Wraneschitz in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Victoria Royals
- Hurricanes Select Pair of Forwards in CHL Import Draft - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Winnipeg ICE Bolster Defence in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Select Forward from Belarus - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Roman Makarov Selected by Blazers in CHL Import Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Rebels Select Frantisek Formanek in Import Draft - Red Deer Rebels
- Pats Pick Kemell 32nd in CHL Import Draft, Suzdalev 95th Overall - Regina Pats
- Rockets Select Szturc In Import Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Warriors Select Robert Baco in 2021 CHL Import Draft - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Winterhawks Select Defenseman Marek Alscher in CHL Import Draft - Portland Winterhawks
- Oil Kings Select Jakub Demek in CHL Import Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Giants Select Golden Knights Prospect Jesper Vikman in the 2021 CHL Import Draft - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Chiefs Travel to B.C. for First Time Since March 2020 to Take on Kelowna Rockets
- Chiefs Get Monkey off Back with First Home Win of 2021-22 Season
- Chiefs to Host Kelowna Rockets for First Time Since February 2020
- Toporowski Suspended Three Games After Penalty Versus Seattle
- Chiefs Fall 4-1 to Division-Leading Silvertips