Chiefs Acquire Goalie Brett Balas from Prince Albert
Spokane, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs announced on Tuesday that they have acquired goaltender Brett Balas from the Prince Albert Raiders in exchange for a ninth-round pick in the 2023 WHL Bantam Draft.
"We are happy to welcome Brett to the Spokane Chiefs," said general manager Scott Carter. "He will be a good addition to our dressing room and provide some depth at the goalie position."
Balas, a 2001-born netminder from Calgary, appeared in three games with the Raiders last season as a 17-year-old, posting a 2.96 GAA and .857 SV%. He played the majority of the year with Calgary Canucks of the AJHL. Balas was originally a third-round pick by Prince Albert in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.
In a corresponding roster move, the Chiefs have returned G Mason Beaupit to the Valley West Giants of the BCMML. Beaupit was recalled as an Affiliated Player on Oct. 9. Spokane's roster now includes three goalies: Balas, Lukas Parik and Campbell Arnold. Parik is listed on the injury report as week-to-week.
Balas will join the team this week. He will wear jersey no. 35.
The Chiefs hit the road for games at Prince George on October 18 and 19 before returning for the first TicketsWest Player Magnet Giveaway at Spokane Arena on Wednesday, October 23 versus the Brandon Wheat Kings. The first 1,000 fans through the gates will receive a refrigerator magnet featuring a Chiefs player courtesy of TicketsWest.
Tickets for October 23 and all Chiefs home games are available online, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK or in-person at the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 15, 2019
- Media Release -- Hamblin & Hofer Named to Vaughn CHL Team of the Week - WHL
- Toyota Hockey Family Day Saturday, October 26th - Portland Winterhawks
- Winnipeg ICE Launch Sunday Funday Games Starting October 20 - Winnipeg Ice
- Douglas Stresses Importance of Looking Forward, Not at the Past - Red Deer Rebels
- Raiders Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Prince Albert Raiders
- Winterhawks' Hofer Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Trade Balas to Spokane - Prince Albert Raiders
- Chiefs Acquire Goalie Brett Balas from Prince Albert - Spokane Chiefs
- Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Rockets look to bounce back against the Swift Current Broncos - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL on the Run Player of the Week - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Winterhawks' Hofer Named WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Tigers' Hamblin Named WHL On the Run Player of the Week - WHL
- Game 11 vs Saskatoon - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Canadian Hockey League & Kubota Announce Expanded Partnership - WHL
- Raiders Add McGovern from ICE - Prince Albert Raiders
- Winnipeg ICE Acquire 2022, 8th Round Draft Pick - Winnipeg Ice
- 50 Below Sports + Entertainment Launches New Manitoba Junior ICE Spring Hockey Program - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Preview: Blades Visit Cat in the Hat - Saskatoon Blades
- ENMAX Teddy Bear Toss Single Game Tickets on Sale Today - Calgary Hitmen
- Preview: Broncos Open Five-Game Road Trip in Kamloops - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.