Chicago's Press Wins NWSL Player of the Month for April
Chicago, Illinois - Chicago Red Stars forward Christen Press was voted the National Women's Soccer League Player of the Month by the media for April 2015. The U.S. Women's National Team star had a standout month, scoring four goals in her side's first two games of the 2015 campaign, including a dramatic stoppage-time winner against Shield holders Seattle Reign FC in the Red Stars season opener.
Press' heroics against Seattle goalkeeping giant Hope Solo earned the 26-year-old Player of the Week honors for Week 2, followed by another nomination for her brace against league leaders Portland Thorns FC. The 26-year-old currently leads the league in goals with four, despite having only played 180 minutes.
Press had two goals and an assist to teammate Jen Hoy against Seattle, leading the Red Stars to a 3-2 victory. In the 91st minute, she sprinted on to a bouncing ball in the opposition half and exploded past the backline before calmly slotting past Solo to send the home fans into a frenzy.
The California native bagged another pair of goals against NWSL leaders Portland and German international goalkeeper Nadine Angerer last weekend, giving her side a 2-0 lead in the first half of an eventual 2-2 draw that saw Chicago remain undefeated on the campaign.
Press is the first ever Red Stars player to be named NWSL Player of the Month.
The Chicago Red Stars look to earn their second win of the year when they take on Sky Blue FC on Saturday, May 2. The meeting presents a final opportunity to see the majority of the team's international stars in action before they depart for the FIFA Women's World Cup in Canada. Single-game and season tickets for the 2015 Red Stars campaign may be purchased by visiting www.chicagoredstars.com or by calling 773-698-6001.
Chicago Red Stars, founded in 2007, are one of nine professional clubs in the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL). The team boasts players from the U.S. and Canadian Women's National Teams, in addition to some of the top international players from around the world. For more information on the Red Stars and to purchase tickets, please visit the team's official website.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 1, 2015
- Seattle Reign FC Midfielder Havana Solaun to Miss 2015 NWSL Season - Reign FC
- Flash Open Home Season against Boston Breakers on Saturday Night - Western New York Flash
- Spirit Begin West Coast Swing against Seattle Reign FC - Washington Spirit
- Preview: FC Kansas City Returns to the BBVA Compass Stadium After Ten Months - FC Kansas City
- Reign FC Return Home to Face Washington Spirit - Reign FC
- Chicago's Press Wins NWSL Player of the Month for April - Chicago Red Stars
- Chicago Red Stars Forward Christen Press Voted NWSL Player of the Month - NWSL
- Sky Blue FC Heads to Chicago for Saturday Showdown - Sky Blue FC
- Boston Breakers Hit the Road to Face Familiar Foe Western New York - Boston Breakers
- FC Kansas City Call up Amateur Players Meghan Lisenby and Caroline Kastor for Match against Houston - FC Kansas City
- Red Stars Looking for Win in World Cup Send-Off - Chicago Red Stars
- Reign FC Names Swedish as Team's Medical Sponsor - Reign FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.