Sky Blue FC Heads to Chicago for Saturday Showdown
Morristown, N.J. (Friday, May 1, 2015) - Sky Blue FC (1-1-1, 4 points) continues its 2015 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) campaign on Saturday night, traveling to play the Chicago Red Stars (1-0-1, 4 points) at the Village of Lisle-Benedictine University Sports Complex. Kickoff for the match is slated for 6:00 PM EST, and fans can watch the action live in HD on YouTube.
"This is a huge challenge, as well as a huge opportunity, for our group," said Jim Gabarra, Sky Blue FC Technical Director & Head Coach. "We are taking on a top quality club that also has its full roster. I expect a very good showing from our team, and we are going to do everything we can to leave Chicago with a result."
With Chicago having a bye during the first week of the NWSL season, the team will still have its full complement of players when it hosts Sky Blue FC on Saturday. This includes eight players who will be heading to Canada after the game to join their respective nations in preparation for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. On the contrary, Sky Blue FC will take on the task at hand without any of its World Cup participants. U.S. Women's National Team players Christie Rampone and Kelley O'Hara played the final of three pre-World Cup contests with the New Jersey club last weekend, while Caitlin Foord (Australia), Sam Kerr (Australia), Jonelle Filigno (Canada) and Monica Ocampo (Mexico) have yet to play with the team this season and will not do so until after their participation in the World Cup.
Sky Blue FC will have its two top goal scorers present when it meets Chicago, with midfielder Katy Freels (two goals) and forward Nadia Nadim (one goal, one assist) looking to continue their early offensive momentum. Additionally, Sky Blue FC did not have any of its World Cup participants in a flawless four-match preseason, so the New Jersey side enters this upcoming stretch of the NWSL season with a high degree of confidence that it will defend well and achieve results.
This contest against the Red Stars also begins a four-game docket for Sky Blue FC that includes three road pairings.
Sky Blue FC will next return to Yurcak Field on Saturday, May 9th, hosting Seattle Reign FC at 7:00 PM EST. Individual game tickets are on sale now. Make sure you catch all of the world class NWSL action this season at Yurcak Field by calling 888-SBFC-TIX (888-723-2849)!
Images from this story
Sky Blue FC in Action
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 1, 2015
- Seattle Reign FC Midfielder Havana Solaun to Miss 2015 NWSL Season - Reign FC
- Flash Open Home Season against Boston Breakers on Saturday Night - Western New York Flash
- Spirit Begin West Coast Swing against Seattle Reign FC - Washington Spirit
- Preview: FC Kansas City Returns to the BBVA Compass Stadium After Ten Months - FC Kansas City
- Reign FC Return Home to Face Washington Spirit - Reign FC
- Chicago's Press Wins NWSL Player of the Month for April - Chicago Red Stars
- Chicago Red Stars Forward Christen Press Voted NWSL Player of the Month - NWSL
- Sky Blue FC Heads to Chicago for Saturday Showdown - Sky Blue FC
- Boston Breakers Hit the Road to Face Familiar Foe Western New York - Boston Breakers
- FC Kansas City Call up Amateur Players Meghan Lisenby and Caroline Kastor for Match against Houston - FC Kansas City
- Red Stars Looking for Win in World Cup Send-Off - Chicago Red Stars
- Reign FC Names Swedish as Team's Medical Sponsor - Reign FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Fall in Season Opener to the Washington Spirit
- Sky Blue FC Begins 2019 Campaign on Road against Washington
- RWJBarnabas Health and Sky Blue FC Announces Official Partnership
- Sky Blue FC Reveals Official 2019 Roster
- Sky Blue FC Signs Brazilian Midfielder Gabi