Chicago Fire Signs Academy Product Jeremiah Gutjahr
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today that it has signed Academy product Jeremiah Gutjahr. He joins the Fire after progressing through the Indiana Fire Academy, a member of the Fire youth development system. Gutjahr is under contract for the 2019 season with a Club option for the 2020, 2021 and 2022 seasons. The midfielder is the 11th Homegrown Player signing in Club history.
"I'm extremely thankful for the opportunity to play for the Chicago Fire," said Gutjahr. "It has been a dream of mine since I was in the Academy to be able to represent the Club and the city of Chicago at the highest level. For a Club that has given me so much, I'm so excited to give everything I have back to the Club. I can't wait to continue working alongside and learning from such a great group of people."
Gutjahr, 21, originally joined the Fire's youth system at age 15, becoming the team captain for the U-15/16 and U-17/18 Indiana Fire Juniors Academy teams. While playing in the Fire's Academy, Gutjahr was named to the U.S. Soccer Development Academy's Best XI for the U17/18 age group, ranking as one of the top 11 players in the Central Conference during the 2014-15 campaign. He also competed for the Chicago Fire PDL in 2016, playing in 12 matches and tallying 847 minutes played in the USL League Two season.
"Jeremiah made a positive impression while in our environment a few years back, and we monitored his progress at Indiana University closely," said Chicago Fire Soccer Club President and General Manager Nelson Rodriguez. "He is of the highest character and, simply, an effective player who can fill several roles."
The Bloomington, Ind., native has also been called up to the U-18 and U-20 U.S. Men's National Teams. He has earned three caps for the U-20s, featuring against Haiti, Mexico and El Salvador as the U.S. claimed its first U-20 Concacaf Championship on March 5, 2017.
"We're very excited to have Jeremiah with us, and we look forward to working with him in the upcoming season," said Chicago Fire Soccer Club Head Coach Veljko Paunovic. "He has good examples in front of him to follow, and we believe he has all that he needs to succeed in our environment."
At the collegiate level, Gutjahr recently capped off a four-year playing career at Indiana University (2015-18), appearing in 71 matches (61 starts). In 2018, Gutjahr appeared in all 24 matches (23 starts) for the Hoosiers, who were ranked No. 1 in the nation in his senior season. In his final season, Gutjahr helped lead the Hoosiers to the most shutouts (15) in the NCAA, the second-most single season wins (20) in program history, the Big Ten regular season championship and the Big Ten Tournament championship. Gutjahr also appeared in each of the Hoosier's four matches in the 2018 College Cup, helping to guide the team to a semifinal appearance in the national tournament.
Gutjahr will join defender Grant Lillard and midfielder Djordje Mihailovic as Homegrown Players currently signed to the Fire's 2019 roster.
Transaction: Chicago Fire Soccer Club signs midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr as a Homegrown Player on Jan. 22, 2019.
Name: Jeremiah Gutjahr
Weight: 160 lbs.
Date of Birth: Aug. 10, 1997
Birthplace: Bloomington, Ind.
Citizenship: United States of America
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2019
- Chicago Fire Names Motorola as Official Jersey Partner - Chicago Fire
- Sutter Health to Serve as First-Ever Presenting Partner of the Quakes Academy - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC to Host Second Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- MNUFC Match against Colorado Rapids Moved from July 17 to June 8 - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City SC Waives Forward StÃ©fano Pinho - Orlando City SC
- FC Cincinnati Signs Midfielder Roland Lamah - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Crew SC Academy Product Aboubacar Keita - Columbus Crew SC
- Houston Dynamo Sign DF Sam Junqua - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Signs Academy Product Jeremiah Gutjahr - Chicago Fire
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Experienced Spanish Midfielder Jon Erice - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Dynamo Encourage Fans to Give to Cancer Research When Buying Soccer Tickets - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Noble Okello - Toronto FC
- Tickets on Sale Friday for Gold Cup Doubleheader in KC - Sporting Kansas City
- Chicago Fire Acquires Polish National Team Midfielder Przemyslaw Frankowski - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Free Agent Defender Aurelien Collin - Philadelphia Union
- Kevin Gilmore Named President of the Montreal Impact - Montreal Impact
- Ebenezer Ofori Returns on Loan for New York City FC - New York City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked No. 5 on List of Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquire Former Real Madrid Midfielder Alvaro Medran
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Retires from Professional Soccer