Charlotte Bats Top Tides
The Charlotte Knights used two big innings and a strong night from their offense to knock off Norfolk 7-2 Friday night at Harbor Park.
The Knights registered 13 hits in the contest, as every Charlotte batter reached base safely while eight of the nine batters in their order registered a hit. Mason Robbins led the Knights offense with three hits, while Matt Skole and Dustin Garneau drove in two runs apiece.
Norfolk starter Tim Melville (5-5) took the loss after allowing six runs on nine hits over 3.2 innings of work. The Knights touched up Melville for three runs in the second frame, then chased him from the contest with three more runs in the fourth. It was the fifth consecutive losing decision for Melville after he opened the season with a 5-0 record.
Jaycob Brugman reached base safely in all four plate appearances to lead Norfolk's offense, while DJ Stewart added a double and a single in the losing effort. Brugman got the Tides on the board with an RBI single in the second inning, while Steve Wilkerson plated Norfolk's second run of the contest with a double in the fourth frame.
Carson Fulmer (3-2) earned the win despite issuing six walks over 5.1 innings. Fulmer yielded two runs on seven hits, striking out one while throwing 60 of his 105 pitches for strikes.
Norfolk drew seven walks in the contest in addition to registering nine hits, but the Tides went 2-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 13 men on base.
The Tides and Knights will continue their series on Saturday night at Harbor Park, with first pitch slated for 7:05. Matt Wotherspoon will get the start for Norfolk and is set to be opposed by right-hander Spencer Adams. Saturday is Marine Corps Night at Harbor Park, as the Tides will honor the brave men and women who protect our nation throughout the evening. There will also be a postgame fireworks show, courtesy of Navy Mutual.
Notes: In a series of roster moves Friday, the Orioles recalled LHP Tanner Scott from Norfolk, optioned RHP Yefry Ramirez to the Tides, purchased the contract of infielder Corban Joseph from Bowie, designated Norfolk LHP D.J. Snelten for assignment, and placed LHP Richard Bleier on the disabled list... Charlotte's roster features former Tides Johnny Giavotella, Michael Saunders and Alex Presley...Cedric Mullins walked twice and scored a run but saw his six-game hitting streak come to an end...Paul Fry struck out three over 3.0 innings of shutout relief, lowering his ERA to 1.93 through 10 games with the Tides this season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 15, 2018
- Clippers Nab Game One over Indy - Columbus Clippers
- Clippers Escape Jams to Edge Indians, 5-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Tripped up in 10th by Bulls - Gwinnett Stripers
- Knights Roll Past Tides 7-2 Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Walk-Off in Extras against Stripers - Durham Bulls
- Charlotte Bats Top Tides - Norfolk Tides
- Dawel Lugo Collects Two Hits in Hens Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Buffalo Clips Rochester, 4-3, Friday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- High-Five: Season-High Five Home Runs Power 14-2 Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bats Hand Mud Hens 5-2 Loss in Series Opener - Louisville Bats
- Wings Bring the Heat with 4-3 Win over Plates - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Down Chiefs, 14-2 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Smith Shines in Combined Three-Hitter - Pawtucket Red Sox
- PawSox Take Game Two - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, June 15, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Foley Headlines Salute to Pro Wrestling Night August 22 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (35-29) at Columbus Clippers (32-32) - Indianapolis Indians
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 15 - Louisville Bats
- Four Homers in Five Innings Clinches Series for Columbus - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Tides Stories
- Orioles Announce 2018 Award Winners for Player Development & Scouting
- Tides Organization to Renovate Two Youth Fields this Fall
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday
- Norfolk and Durham Suspended Monday Night at Harbor Park
- Durham Scores Late to Beat Tides