Charge Zapped by Magic
CANTON, OH - The Canton Charge (19-28), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, fell in their penultimate home game of the 2017-18 season, 114-97, to the Lakeland Magic (23-22). Lakeland's win takes the season series from the Charge, two games to one.
The Magic led by as many as 18 in the first quarter due to a lights out team shooting performance from the field, including 17-of-21 overall (81%) and 7-of-8 from three-point range (88%). The visitors posted the most points a Charge opponent has scored in a single quarter so far this season and led 45-27. Lakeland's Byron Mullens alone scored 17 points on a perfect 6-of-6 from the field in the first.
Canton turned on the defensive intensity in the second quarter to allow just 14 points and erase the deficit entirely. Trailing 51-40, the hosts finished the half on a 19-8 run to tie the game headed into the break. Lakeland jumped out in front in the third quarter, outscoring the Charge 26-21. Alan Anderson scored 11 points in the third quarter on 4-of-4 shooting. Leading 85-80 entering the fourth, Lakeland revved up its defensive effort, holding the Charge to just 33% from the field in the final 12 minutes. Mullens continued his big night, registering 10 fourth quarter points to help put the game on ice for the visitors.
Isaac Hamilton netted a team-high 18 points in his second consecutive start for the Charge. Scoochie Smith connected on 4-of-5 attempts from deep to finish with 16 points, seven assists and four rebounds in 32 minutes. Reserves Gerald Beverly and Kevin Olekaibe each scored 12 points in relief.
Mullens finished with a game-high 31 points, 10 rebounds and six assists in a dominant 32 minutes of action. Troy Caupain added 14 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in 36 minutes. Former Charge guard Alan Anderson scored 18 points off the bench in his return to Canton. As a team, the Magic shot 50% from three point range (12-of-24) and 57% from the field overall (45-of-79).
The Charge wrap up their 2017-18 home schedule with Fan Appreciation Night this Saturday, March 17th at 7:00 p.m. against the Wisconsin Herd (Milwaukee Bucks). The first 2,500 fans in the Civic Center will receive a Cavs shield logo pillow courtesy of State Farm, while the C Squad Prize Patrol will be handing out loot to fans all night long! 2018-19 Charge Nation Memberships are on sale NOW! Place your $100 per seat initial payment today and receive the rest of the 2017-18 season for FREE in addition to all the other great benefits of being a Charge Nation Member. Visit CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944 to sign up today.
The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Gladiators of the Arena Football League and the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, both of which play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 13, 2018
- Westchester Knicks Rise over Erie BayHawks to Maintain Position at Top of Eastern Conference Standings - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Zapped by Magic - Canton Charge
- Drive Partner with Michigan State University Federal Credit Union for Jersey Theme Night - Grand Rapids Drive
- Dixon Records Triple-Double in Loss - Maine Red Claws
- Hustle Take on Midwest Division Rival Sioux Falls - Memphis Hustle
- Sacramento Kings to Bring NBA Entertainment at Reno Bighorns March 17 Game - Reno Bighorns
- Delaware 87ers Acquire Jared Brownridge - Delaware Blue Coats
- Warriors Acquire Guard Quinton Chievous from Available Player Pool - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Jazz Assign DantÃ© Exum to Salt Lake City Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
- Wolves Acquire Kevin Foster and Tre'Lun Banks - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Get Overtime Win over Division-Leading Ants - Grand Rapids Drive
- Guard Damion Lee Earns GATORADE Call-Up with the Atlanta Hawks - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bryson Fuels Wolves to Hard-Earned Victory over Bighorns - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Comeback Falls Short - Reno Bighorns
- Stars Fall to Skyforce 138-127 - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Canton Charge Stories
- Suns Stun Charge
- Celebrate Ohio Basketball at the Q with the Charge
- Charge Outlast Lakers in OT
- Charge Fall Flat in Iowa
- Charge Snap Skid