CF Montréal Tops HFX Wanderers FC 3-1
HALIFAX, Nova Scotia - CF Montréal defeated the HFX Wanderers FC 3-1, Wednesday at Wanderers Grounds in Halifax, advancing to the Canadian Championship semifinals. Subbed in during the final minutes of the match, midfielder Ballou Tabla netted a brace all within a three-minute window (89 'and 92'), to propel CF Montréal onto the next round, where the Club will face Forge FC (date and venue to be determined). CF Montréal will play its upcoming MLS regular season game in Columbus this Saturday at 7:30pm EDT at Lower.com Field (TVA Sports, 91.9 Sports, TSN690.ca).
COMPLETE SUMMARY HERE
-Midfielder Matko Miljevic scored his first goal, in his very first game as a CF Montréal player.
-Midfielder Ballou Tabla tallied his second and third Canadian Championship goals. He logged his first minutes since October 24, 2020.
-Ballou Tabla became the first player in Club history to score twice in a Canadian Championship road game.
-Goalkeeper Sebastian Breza registered his first Canadian Championship win.
"Tonight's game was not easy, and they did something great. Lassi (Lappalainen) and Ballou (Tabla) brought good energy. I am happy for Ballou but for all the other players too. I congratulate the whole group. We had to make a choice for the team's lineup because we play again in a few days. Players who played tonight deserved to be on the pitch. The team's dynamic is very good. When it's becoming tougher during a game, I ask the players to stay calm and that's what they did tonight. I am looking forward to what's next."
"I'm really happy to be back on the pitch and getting some minutes. The last six to eight months haven't been easy due to injuries. I'm glad I helped the team tonight. I work hard in training and want to keep proving to the coach that I can help the team. We played against a good opponent. The game was not easy."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2021
- Red Bulls Draw New York City FC 1-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-2 Win at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Nashville SC 1-5 - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Advances to the 2021 Canadian Championship Semi-Finals - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-2 to New England Revolution at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Late Penalty, Goal Force NYCFCÃÂ to Settle for Hudson River Derby Draw - New York City FC
- Nashville SC Takes Three Points on the Road and Solidifies Second Place in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- CF Montréal Tops HFX Wanderers FC 3-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New Time for the Hudson River Derby on Sept 25 - New York City FC
- Preliminary Rosters Announced Ahead of Campeones Cup Between Columbus Crew and Cruz Azul on September 29 in Columbus - MLS
- It Was a Record-Setting Week as Goals Filled the Nets in MLS: Week 27 News and Notes - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 22, 2021 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Takes on Liga MX Side Club León in 2021 Leagues Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew Prepares to Face LIGA MX Side Cruz Azul in 2021 Campeones Cup Next Wednesday at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montréal to Host the Philadelphia Union Saturday at Stade Saputo
- Game on Wednesday November 3 at Stade Saputo to be Played at 7:30pm
- Brossard Soccer Association Joins CF Montréal Scouting and Development Centre
- Stade Saputo to Host GOAL MTL Event on October 17
- CF Montréal Rallies to Win over Atlanta