Red Bulls Draw New York City FC 1-1
The New York Red Bulls (7-11-6, 27 points) fought to a 1-1 draw with rivals New York City FC (11-8-6, 39 points) on Wednesday night at Red Bull Arena.
New York City FC scored the opening goal in the 31st minute, when midfielder Maxi Moralez slipped the ball past the Red Bulls backline to Valentin Castellanos, who placed it in the bottom left corner of the net.
The Red Bulls equalized the match late in second half stoppage time, when they earned a penalty from a New York City FC handball in the box. Forward Patryk Klimala stepped up and scored the penalty.
Klimala scored his seventh goal of the season and his second at Red Bull Arena this season, with his first coming on a penalty kick against Philadelphia Union on July 8.
The Polish striker has converted all three of his penalty kick attempts this season.
His goal scored in the 102nd minute of play is the latest goal scored in MLS regular-season history.
Klimala has recorded a goal or an assist in his last four matches, which includes three-straight matches with a goal.
With his five saves tonight, goalkeeper Carlos Coronel moved into a tie for seventh place in MLS in saves this season.
Red Bulls Captain Sean Davis is the only Red Bulls field player this season to play every minute (2,160) and is ranked tied for ninth in MLS in minutes played.
The Red Bulls are now unbeaten in their last five New York Derby's at Red Bull Arena with a 3-0-2 mark.
Since August 4, New York has only allowed 27 shots on target, which is the second lowest in MLS during that timespan.
Following Wednesday's match, the Red Bulls will play their second New York Derby of the week on Saturday, September 25. Kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET on MSG, MSG GO, and New York Red Bulls Radio in English and Spanish via TuneIn, the New York Red Bulls app and NewYorkRedBulls.com.
New York Red Bulls 1, New York City FC 1
2021 MLS Regular-Season Match 24
Wednesday, September 22, 2021 - 8 p.m. ET
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, N.J.
NYC - Valentin Castellanos 13 (Moralez) 31'
NY - Patryk Klimala 7 (penalty) 90'+12
NYC - Alexander Callens (caution, foul) 21'
NYC - Anton Tinnerholm (caution, persistent infringement) 44'
NY - Sean Davis (caution, foul) 45'
NY - Andrés Reyes (caution, foul) 61'
NYC - Keaton Parks (ejection, foul) 73'
NY - Patryk Klimala (caution, foul) 80'
NY - Kyle Duncan (caution, foul) 82'
NYC - Maxime Chanot (caution, time wasting) 84'
NY - Caden Clark (caution, foul) 85'
NYC - Maxime Chanot (ejection, handball) 90'+10
New York Red Bulls: Carlos Coronel; John Tolkin, Sean Nealis, Andrés Reyes (Cameron Harper, , Tom Edwards (Kyle Duncan, 62'), Sean Davis ©, Cristian Cásseres, Jr. (Dru Yearwood, HT)(Frankie Amaya, 79'), Wiki Carmona (Caden Clark, 72'), Omir Fernandez (Andrew Gutman, HT), Fábio, Patryk Klimala
Unused Subs: Ryan Meara, Daniel Royer, Cameron Harper, Tom Barlow
TOTAL SHOTS: 15; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 21; POSSESSION: 50.3%; CORNER KICKS: 1; SAVES: 5
New York City FC: Sean Johnson, Anton Tinnerholm, Maxime Chanot, Alexander Callens, Gudmundur Thorarinsson (Malte Amundsen, 90'+1), Alfredo Morales, Maxi Moralez, James Sands, Jesus Medina (Nicolas Acevedo, 79'), Keaton Parks, Valentin Castellanos
Unused Subs: Luis Barraza, Andres Jasson, Gedion Zelalem, Santiago Rodriguez, Talles Magno, Thiago, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi
TOTAL SHOTS: 12; SHOTS ON GOAL: 6; FOULS: 23; POSSESSION: 49.7%; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4
Referee: Ismail Elfath
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Kyle Atkins
4th Official: Robert Sibiga
VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
AVAR: Gjovalin Bori
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2021
- Red Bulls Draw New York City FC 1-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-2 Win at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Nashville SC 1-5 - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Advances to the 2021 Canadian Championship Semi-Finals - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-2 to New England Revolution at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Late Penalty, Goal Force NYCFCÃÂ to Settle for Hudson River Derby Draw - New York City FC
- Nashville SC Takes Three Points on the Road and Solidifies Second Place in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- CF Montréal Tops HFX Wanderers FC 3-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New Time for the Hudson River Derby on Sept 25 - New York City FC
- Preliminary Rosters Announced Ahead of Campeones Cup Between Columbus Crew and Cruz Azul on September 29 in Columbus - MLS
- It Was a Record-Setting Week as Goals Filled the Nets in MLS: Week 27 News and Notes - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 22, 2021 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Takes on Liga MX Side Club León in 2021 Leagues Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew Prepares to Face LIGA MX Side Cruz Azul in 2021 Campeones Cup Next Wednesday at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Defeats Columbus Crew 2-1
- Red Bulls Travel to Lower.Com Field to Battle Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Defeat New York City FC 1-0
- Red Bulls Welcome NYCFC to Red Bull Arena for Final New York Derby of 2021 Regular Season
- Red Bulls - Atlanta United Match Picked up by FS1 and FOX Deportes