Inter Miami CF Falls to Nashville SC 1-5
Inter Miami CF (9W-5D-11L, 32 points) fell to Nashville SC 1-5 at DRV PNK Stadium on Wednesday night.
Inter Miami made four changes to the starting lineup from its last match; Kelvin Leerdam and Jay Chapman returned to the starting XI following one match out of it, replacing the suspended duo of Nicolás Figal and Leandro González Pirez - the move also pushed Gregore into the backline as a center back. Kieran Gibbs, meanwhile, returned to the lineup as he recovered from an injury, replacing Brek Shea. Lastly, Julián Carranza made his first start since early July, slotting into the XI in place of Robbie Robinson.
It was the visitors who got off to the quicker start at DRV PNK Stadium; in the sixth minute, Alistair Johnson whipped a cross from the right side of the box to the far post, where Hany Mukhtar met the pass and curled it in for the goal and the early 0-1 lead.
Nashville doubled its lead in the 39th minute; Aníbal Godoy sent a cross in from the left side of the box and Walker Zimmerman rose up in front of goal to head it in the back of the net for a 0-2 lead.
Inter Miami responded with pressure of its own, maintaining longer spells of possession, probing the defense with passes. In the 42nd minute, the hosts hit the woodwork; Rodolfo Pizarro delivered a chipped pass behind the defense that found Gonzalo Higuaín in the box, who deftly controlled in tight space and released a left-footed shot that beat the keeper, but bounced off the far post. The team continued to probe for the remainder of the half, but was unable to find a goal before the halftime whistle, sending the match into the break 0-2 in favor of Nashville.
Nashville, however, also opened the second half on the front foot, adding to its lead within three minutes when Mukhtar found the back of the net for his second of the night and Nashville's third.
In the 64th minute, Inter Miami responded with a goal of its own; a clinical passing combination between Pizarro and Higuaín at the top of the box saw the Mexican play Higuaín into a dangerous area, where he fired a powerful low shot off the post and in to cut into the deficit, making it 1-3. The goal was Higuaín's 10th of the season and the assist was Pizarro's third.
Nashville quickly responded with another goal, however, making it 1-4 in the 70th minute; Randall Leal took on the defense, driving into the box and firing a precise shot from a difficult angle, finding the inside of the far post for a goal.
In the 86th minute, the referee whistled for a second yellow on Gregore following a corner, sending the Brazilian off. Nashville capitalized on the man advantage, scoring deep into stoppage time as Jhonder Cádiz assisted Johnston for the team's fifth and final goal.
"We can't hide behind the fact that it was five goals, five mistakes, individual errors," said head coach Phil Neville. "We have to regroup because the season is on the line, where it could go so good or it could go so bad...We thought that we closed the back in terms of inconsistency, but we reverted. We've got to regroup to actually want to do the things in football to make us successful. All of the teams will want to make it into the playoffs."
Celebra tu Patria - Hispanic Heritage Night Presented by Espolòn
Inter Miami hosted "Celebra Tu Patria" - Hispanic Heritage Night presented by Espolòn on Wednesday.
Fans were encouraged to showcase their heritage by bringing their country's flag to the match and raising it high and proud to show their support for the team. There were also custom, limited edition Hispanic Heritage patches for sale at all DRV PNK Stadium team store locations during the match.
Fans over 21 years of age were able to enjoy Espolòn frozen margaritas and palomas at select concession stands and premium areas around DRV PNK Stadium. Guests visiting the North West Club were able to visit the premium Espolòn bar located on the first floor turf patio. Additionally, a variety of food trucks serving Hispanic food were available in the stadium.
Espolòn was also present in the Fan Zone presented by Baptist Health. Fans were able to enjoy samples, giveaways and a live DJ in the South end before entering DRV PNK Stadium.
Inter Miami will return to action next week, when it travels to Mercedes-Benz Stadium to take on Atlanta United FC on Wednesday, Sept. 29 at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 22, 2021
- Red Bulls Draw New York City FC 1-1 - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-2 Win at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Nashville SC 1-5 - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC Advances to the 2021 Canadian Championship Semi-Finals - Toronto FC
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-2 to New England Revolution at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Late Penalty, Goal Force NYCFCÃÂ to Settle for Hudson River Derby Draw - New York City FC
- Nashville SC Takes Three Points on the Road and Solidifies Second Place in Eastern Conference - Nashville SC
- CF Montréal Tops HFX Wanderers FC 3-1 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New Time for the Hudson River Derby on Sept 25 - New York City FC
- Preliminary Rosters Announced Ahead of Campeones Cup Between Columbus Crew and Cruz Azul on September 29 in Columbus - MLS
- It Was a Record-Setting Week as Goals Filled the Nets in MLS: Week 27 News and Notes - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 22, 2021 - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Takes on Liga MX Side Club León in 2021 Leagues Cup Final - Seattle Sounders FC
- Columbus Crew Prepares to Face LIGA MX Side Cruz Azul in 2021 Campeones Cup Next Wednesday at Lower.com Field - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Academy Update: Discovery Program Progress
- Inter Miami CF to Visit the Columbus Crew on SaturdayÃÂ
- Inter Miami CF and AutoNation Fill 2,500 Comfort Bags for Cancer Patients
- Inter Miami CF to Help Drive out Cancer on October 20, Host DRVPNK Night Presented by AutoNation
- Curry Named to USL League One Team of the Week Ã¢ÂÂ Week 27