CF Montréal Earns Third Straight Victory
MONTREAL - CF Montréal earned a third consecutive MLS victory Saturday night at Stade Saputo following a 2-0 clean sheet win over Orlando City SC.
After a scoreless first half, a Robin Jansson goal - the result of a deflected shot from Montreal defender Aaron Herrera - finally broke the deadlock in the 62nd minute.
Four minutes later, striker Romell Quioto, playing for the first time since April 8, doubled the home side's lead to confirm the three points.
Montreal's Canadian Championship journey will continue Tuesday night as the team visits Toronto FC at BMO Field in the tournament's quarterfinal round. Kickoff is scheduled for 7pm (OneSoccer, BPM Sports, TSN 690). Montreal will then host Toronto four days later in MLS action at Stade Saputo.
-Forward Chinonso Offor earned the 20th MLS start of his career.
-Since the 1-0 loss on April 15, CF Montréal has scored eight goals and conceded none.
-The team has not allowed a goal in the last 404 minutes of play (all competitions).
-Goalkeeper Jonathan Sirois earned his third straight clean sheet.
-Defender Joel Waterman will be suspended for the next MLS game due to a yellow card accumulation.
"We must not forget that Orlando is a very strong opponent. They hadn't lost on the road until tonight. The rivals also have quality. It's true that Jonathan wasn't called upon much during the game, but with the changes made after an hour of play, we were better. In the right moments, we took our chances and we were able to maintain our block. That gives confidence to the defense and the goalkeeper. We want to create the feeling that it is impossible for the visitors to take points here. Tonight was another step in the right direction."
"In the first half, we were still solid defensively. The wingback position is not so cut and dry. The coach tried to put me in simpler positions after halftime. You can see that I had more freedom in the second half. What matters is the execution on the field. The addition of Lassiter and Duke has given us a new dynamic on the field. At the beginning of the season, we were creating chances, but we were struggling to score. We couldn't catch a break. Now we're managing the games better. The puzzle pieces are starting to come together."
"We had a collective problem at the beginning of the season, but we had to give ourselves time. We've worked a lot defensively since then. It starts with our forwards. They're doing a good job up front and taking some of the work off us. It's also good to preserve the shutout. This year I'm focusing more on the defensive side, but tonight I made a couple of runs in the second half."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 6, 2023
- LAFC Drops First MLS Game of Season, Falling 2-1 to San Jose on Road - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Remain Unbeaten at Home After Draw with Salt Lake - Houston Dynamo FC
- Reigning Landon Donovan MLS MVP Hany Mukhtar Scores Hat Trick in Nashville SC's 3-0 Victory Over Chicago Fire FC - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Remain Perfect at Home with 2-1 Win Over D.C. United - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 3-0 to Nashville SC at GEODIS Park - Chicago Fire FC
- Josef Martínez Makes History, Guides Inter Miami Cf To Victory Over Atlanta United - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal Earns Third Straight Victory - Club de Foot Montreal
- Real Salt Lake Earns 0-0 Draw at Houston - Real Salt Lake
- Orlando City SC Drops 2-0 Decision to CF Montréal - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Top Toronto FC, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Philadelphia Union Blanks New York Red Bulls - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Falls 2-1 to Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Charlotte FC Rollercoaster Match Ends in 3-2 Triumph Over New York City FC - Charlotte FC
- NYCFC Falls at Charlotte, 3-2 - New York City FC
- National Soccer Hall of Fame Inducts 7 New Members - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Defender Teenage Hadebe Placed on MLS Injured List - Houston Dynamo FC
- Starting XI: Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United FC - Inter Miami CF
- Houston Dynamo FC Unified Team Defeats RSL Unified 4-0 to Open Season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Timbers Sign Tyler Clegg to Short-Term Agreement Ahead of Tonight's Match vs. Austin FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Colorado Rapids at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Saturday, May 6 - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.