Carrera placed on DL, Bonilla to High Desert, M's sign Garcia
JACKSON, TENN. (JULY 9, 2009) - The Seattle Mariners have announced the following roster moves affecting the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx.
OF Ezequiel Carrera has been placed on the 7-Day DL due to a right wrist injury suffered in Wednesday night's game against Mobile. Carrera dove for a ball in left-center in the top of the fifth inning at Pringles Park and left the game Immediately. This is Carrera's second stint on the disabled list this season. He missed 24 games after being placed on the DL on May 24th due to a sprained right ankle. Carrera ranked tied for second place in the league with a .322 batting average and first in on-base percentage at .441. Carrera was named to the Southern League North All-Star team and was scheduled to lead off in the game.
INF Leury Bonilla has been sent down to high Class-A High Desert of the California League. Bonilla was activated from extended spring on May 11th and played in 26 games for the Jaxx. Bonilla was versatile for West Tenn playing seven different positions. Bonilla failed to pitch and play center field for the Jaxx. On June 25th in Mobile, Bonilla caught when C Yamid Haad left due to an injury. Bonilla threw out a runner in the outing behind the dish.
INF Travis Garcia's contract has been purchased by the Seattle Mariners today and has been assigned to the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx. Garcia, who was selected to the Atlantic League's All-Star Game as the starting shortstop for the Liberty Division, departs Southern Maryland as the team leader in games played (66), batting average (.338), hits (91) and doubles (17). On the Atlantic League leader board, Garcia leads the league in hits, his average stands third overall, his 53 RBI place him second on the circuit behind teammate James Shanks, and he leaves in the league's top five in homers (12), slugging percentage, and extra base hits. Garcia put together a hit streak of 17 games from May 23 through June 10, a Blue Crabs 2009 season high.
Last season Garcia hit .309 in 19 games with Southern Maryland, totaling three home runs and 20 RBI, after joining the club at the conclusion of the Frontier League season, where he played for the Chillicothe Paints in Ohio. A 21st round selection by the New York Mets in 2003 out of Iona College, the Bronx, New York native has played the game professionally for six and a half seasons.
RHP Steve Bray has also been activated from the high Class-A High Desert roster.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 9, 2009
- Mudcats Win a Close One - Carolina Mudcats
- Mudcats Take Marathon Series Opener - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jaxx Push Win Streak to Eight Games on Thursday - Jackson Generals
- BayBears Leave 10 in Scoring Position in Loss to Jaxx - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Fall Again to Biscuits Thursday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Blank Chattanooga to End Losing Streak - Huntsville Stars
- Stars Blank Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits Muscle Their Way to Game Two Win, 6-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Mississippi Braves Homestand Highlights - Mississippi Braves
- Carrera placed on DL, Bonilla to High Desert, M's sign Garcia - Jackson Generals
- Cofield to Start All-Star Game - Mississippi Braves
- David Cook Named Topps Southern League Player of the Month - Birmingham Barons
- Camarena to DL, Britton Activated - Mississippi Braves
- Gadsden Native Kyle Cofield To Start All-Star Game - Birmingham Barons
- Cortez Activated - Montgomery Biscuits
- Southern League Announces Updated Rosters For All-Star Game - SL
- Dale Murphy Appearance at Smokies Park - Tennessee Smokies
- David Cook wins Topps Player of the Month Award for June - SL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Shadrack Christmas Wonderland Back at the Ballpark
- Generals Announce Staff Promotions and Additions
- Cheer on the Champs: League Champion Generals Release 2019 Schedule
- Marzilli's Late Pinch-Hit Double Makes Generals Champions
- One Win Away: Donatella Dominates Again, Generals Win Game 3