Cards Make It Three Straight, Clinch Series in Bristol
BRISTOL, Va. - Will Guay picked up his first professional win, Dylan Pearce earned his first professional save, and Chandler Redmond hit another game-changing home run as the Cardinals clinched their series at Boyce Cox Field with a 4-2 win Thursday night over the Bristol Pirates.
Jake Sommers got the start for the Cardinals and held the Pirates to just one run over the first four innings. He left the bases loaded twice en route to a no-decision.
Down 1-0 in the second, Redmond got the Cardinal offense going with a leadoff double. He would score on an RBI single from Liam Sabino to even the game 1-1. In the third, the Cardinals took the lead when Diomedes Del Rio and Trejyn Fletcher went back-to-back with base hits. Del Rio scored after the Bucs threw the ball away following Fletcher's single to make it 2-1.
Guay (1-0) entered in the fifth and allowed a run that tied the game at 2-2 but also left a man on second. He struck out one.
The Cardinals seized the lead back in the sixth on the fifth home run of the season by Redmond, who slammed the first pitch he saw from Pirates relief man CJ Dandeneau (1-1) to leadoff the inning. The Cardinals would later add an insurance run on a double by Sabino to score Todd Lott in the eighth.
Wilfredo Pereira stabilized the situation out of the bullpen with perfect sixth and seventh innings. He struck out two. Pearce allowed nothing more than a single in the eighth and ninth to pick up his first save.
The win was the third straight for the Johnson City. The team will look for their second sweep - and first on the road - this season. The Cardinals (13-8) and Pirates (11-11) conclude the series tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. RHP Jose Moreno (1-2, 9.77 ERA) is expected to start for the Cardinals. The Pirates starter is TBD.
The full schedule for this season and season ticket information can be found online at jccardinals.com, or by calling the Cardinals Ticket Office at 423-461-4866.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Bats, Shutout Pitching Lead Pirates to 11-0 Win - Bristol Pirates
- Cards Head to Elizabethton After Wrapping Bristol Set - Johnson City Cardinals
- Braves Fall in Series Finale to Greeneville - Danville Braves
- G-Reds Cap Sweep with 10-0 Win in Danville - Greeneville Reds
- Yankees Break away from Bluefield - Pulaski Yankees
- Royals Blank Twins 5-0 - Burlington Royals
- K Mets Earn Sweep of Rays - Kingsport Mets
- Bumpass & Lantigua Drive in Two Each, Lead Reds to 6-5 Win - Greeneville Reds
- Cards Make It Three Straight, Clinch Series in Bristol - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnson City Cardinals Stories
- Cards vs. Mets Opener Postponed, Doubleheader Set for Wednesday
- Hurlers Strike out 12, Cards Salvage Finale vs. Braves
- Cards Close Six-Game Homestand on Dollar Monday vs. Braves
- Lott Stars with Homer, Three Hits vs. Danville
- Torres, Redmond Go Deep, Cards Continue Homestand Saturday