'Caps become latest victim of LAFC at Banc of California Stadium
LOS ANGELES, CA - Vancouver Whitecaps FC became the latest victim of league-leaders LAFC on Saturday night, suffering a 6-1 defeat at Banc of California Stadium.
Yordy Reyna opened the scoring for Vancouver in the fifth minute, scoring his third goal in the last four matches. Jon Erice got the play started with a ball over the top and the Peruvian took care of the rest, running into space and rounding LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega before slotting home with his left foot.
It was a dream start for the visitors, who were without newly-signed Designated Player Ali Adnan as they await receipt his permanent International Transfer Certificate.
But it was all LAFC from there.
Vancouver managed to withstand the initial pressure, thanks in part to a spectacular diving save from Maxime Crepeau on his Canadian national teammate Mark-Anthony Kaye, until a slew of corners in the final stages of the first half.
Eventually, LAFC would find the back of the net on a pair of Carlos Vela deliveries.
In the 35th minute, they levelled the score after Vela's corner deflected in off Andy Rose at the back post. LAFC then took the lead on a 41st-minute corner, this time with Adama Diomande connecting on a header at the back post.
The league-leaders would add four more goals after the break through Kaye, a pair from Vela, and Diego Rossi to earn their 13th win of the season and increase their home record to 8W-0L-1D.
The 'Caps conclude their four-match road swing on Wednesday in Calgary, facing Canadian Premier League side Cavalry FC in their first match of the 2019 Canadian Championship (6:30 p.m. PT on OneSoccer). They will then return to BC Place on Saturday, July 13, resuming MLS action against Sporting Kansas City (7 p.m. PT on TSN 1/4 - tickets are still available).
NEWS AND NOTES
Ali Adnan was not eligible to play on Saturday as the 'Caps are awaiting receipt of his permanent International Transfer Certificate (ITC) following Friday's transfer from Udinese Calcio. Adnan's ITC will be re-issued when the international transfer window opens in Canada on July 9, at which point he will be eligible to play again ... Fredy Montero was shown a straight red card in the 85th minute and will now miss next Saturday's match against Sporting Kansas City.
MATCH DETAILS WFC
Man of the Match: Yordy Reyna
Referee: Allen Chapman
5' - VAN - Yordy Reyna (Jon Erice)
35' - LAFC - Andy Rose (own goal)
41' - LAFC - Adama Diomande (Carlos Vela)
46' - LAFC - Mark-Anthony Kaye (Tristan Blackmon)
54' - LAFC - Carlos Vela (Eduard Atuesta)
70' - LAFC - Carlos Vela
72' - LAFC - Diego Rossi
Possession: LAFC 67.4% - VAN 32.6%
Shots: LAFC 31 - VAN 5
Shots on Goal: LAFC 14 - VAN 3
Saves: LAFC 2 - VAN 9
Fouls: LAFC 9 - VAN 7
Offsides: LAFC 1 - VAN 1
Corners: LAFC 10 - VAN 3
Duels won: LAFC 40 - VAN 37
Tackles won: LAFC 10 - VAN 8
7' - VAN - Erik Godoy
48' - VAN - Yordy Reyna
80' - LAFC - Eduard Atuesta
85' - VAN - Fredy Montero
Los Angeles Football Club
23.Pablo Sisniega; 27.Tristan Blackmon, 5.Dejan Jakovic, 4.Eddie Segura (2.Jordan Harvey 74'), 13.Mohamed El-Munir; 14.Mark-Anthony Kaye, 20.Eduard Atuesta (7.Latif Blessing 81'), 24.Lee Nguyen; 10.Carlos Vela, 99.Adama Diomande (22.Rodolfo Zelaya 62'), 9.Diego Rossi
Substitutes not used
40.Phillip Ejimadu, 3.Steven Beitashour, 18.Josh Pérez, 21.Christian Ramirez
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski, 22.Érik Godoy, 2.Doneil Henry, 15.Andy Rose, 46.Brett Levis (94.Victor "PC" Giro 74'); 4.Inbeom Hwang (50.Theo Bair 66'), 6.Jon Erice ©, 31.Russell Teibert; 7.Lucas Venuto (12.Fredy Montero 56'), 29.Yordy Reyna
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 8.Felipe Martins, 13.Derek Cornelius, 23.Scott Sutter
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 7, 2019
- FC Dallas Draws Club Tijuana 0-0 in Friendly - FC Dallas
- Timbers Register 1-0 Win on the Road against New York City FC - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 0 - 1 Portland Timbers - New York City FC
- Kacper Przybylko scores for fourth consecutive game; Marco Fabian scores his third MLS goal in draw - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Split Points with Philadelphia on the Road - Orlando City SC
- Red Bulls Secure Crucial Road Point Late in Atlanta - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Draws New York Red Bulls 3-3 - Atlanta United FC
- 5,000 Fans Attend Viewing Party for FIFA Women's World Cup Final - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Falls Late to the San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- 'Caps become latest victim of LAFC at Banc of California Stadium - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Quakes Win again at Home - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Downs Vancouver Whitecaps FC 6-1; Becomes Quickest Team to 100 Points in Post-Shootout Era - Los Angeles FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps valiant tourney run ends in shootout defeat to West leaders SKC
- Whitecaps FC to Face Sporting Kansas City on Sunday in MLS Is Back Tournament
- 'Caps storm back after weather delay, advance to Round of 16
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Acquire Goalkeeper Jonathan Sirois on Loan from Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau Suffers Fractured Thumb