By the Numbers: Defense on Pace
46 - Defensive record pace
Orlando City's defense has continued its remarkable turnaround through the summer. The Lions remain paced to allow just 46 goals in 2019, a 28-goal improvement from last season. Orlando ranks fourth in the Eastern Conference and seventh in MLS in goals allowed per game. City have been particularly stingy at home lately, allowing just one goal across their last three home fixtures.
29 - SKC second-half goals allowed
Orlando City have been a far better attacking team in the second half than the first this season, scoring 22 goals after the break compared to 11 before. That's good news against a Sporting KC team that has struggled to close out games- SKC have allowed 29 of their 43 goals against in the second half, including 11 in the final 15 minutes. Sporting have scored first in 13 of their 24 games, but have won just seven of them.
10 - Vermes years in KC
Peter Vermes celebrated his 10th anniversary as Sporting Kansas City manager on August 4. Vermes is the longest-tenured coach in Major League Soccer at the moment, with an MLS Cup, three U.S. Open Cups, and eight straight playoff appearances to his name.
57 - Dwyer goals for Kansas City
Dom Dwyer will be facing off against his former club on Wednesday night. The forward played the first four-and-a-half seasons of his MLS career for Peter Vermes, scoring 57 goals in his time in Kansas City. Dwyer placed second to Bradley Wright-Phillips for the MLS Golden Boot in 2014 with 22 goals.
3-3 - Wednesday split
Orlando City are playing their final Wednesday game of 2019 this week, their seventh overall. The Lions have a curious record on Wednesday nights- they are 0-3 in league play, with losses to Seattle, DC United, Philadelphia, but 3-0 in the U.S. Open Cup, with wins against Memphis 901 FC, New England, and NYCFC.
1.5 - FAIRWINDS Credit Union
Score up to 1.5% cash back and LionNation points when you use your FAIRWINDS Orlando City Visa® or Orlando Pride Visa® on game day purchases and everyday essentials. Apply today and get purple carded.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 13, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 13, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Minnesota United FC vs. Colorado Rapids Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Part Ways with Wilmer Cabrera - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake Opens Three-Match Home Stand Wednesday against Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- Impact to Play Second Leg of Canadian Championship Semifinals in Calgary - Montreal Impact
- By the Numbers: Defense on Pace - Orlando City SC
- #LAvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Jason Di Tullio Named Impact U17 Head Coach - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Opens New Chapter in Club History, as 11 Families with Deep Seattle Roots Join Rave Green Ownership Group - Seattle Sounders FC
- Know Your Opponent | Sporting KC - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting to Visit Orlando City SC on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Cincinnati to Co-Host Buffalove Foundation Food Drive at Saturday's Game - FC Cincinnati
- Campeones Cup in Atlanta to Crown North America's Best Team on Wednesday - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- City Furniture and Orlando City Soccer Club Launch "Delivering Hope" Program, Donating Beds to 100 Kids at October 4 Pajama Party
- Orlando City SC to Expand Presence in Osceola County
- Orlando City SC Parts Ways with James O'Connor
- Orlando City Fall to Chicago Fire in Season Finale
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire