Bullpen Battered in 7-2 Defeat
MONTGOMERY, AL - Birmingham's Josh Phegley broke a 2-2 tie with a solo homer off Jeremy Hall in the seventh, then Ryan Reid succumbed four more in the eighth as the Biscuits fell to 0-2 with a 7-2 defeat on Friday night at Riverwalk.
After the Barons scored twice on Chris Archer in the second, the Biscuits used a two-out throwing error to plate their first two runs of the season and tie the game at 2-2. It'd stay that way until Phegley's homer in the seventh.
Seth Loman made it 4-2 with a solo shot on the second pitch of Ryan Reid's outing, then Kenny Williams followed a pair of singles with a long three-run homer to make it 7-2 in the eighth inning.
Archer went 4.0 innings, allowing a pair of runs on six hits while fanning three and walking three. Jake Peavy, who was making a rehab start for the Barons, allowed two unearned runs in his 3.2 innings of work, striking out four and walking one. The win went to Matt Zaleski (0-1), who allowed only two hits while pitching the final 5.1 of the game. Hall (0-1) suffered the loss.
Paul Phillips tossed 1.2 innings of perfect relief for the Biscuits, striking out three.
Offensively, Tim Beckham led the Biscuits by going 2-4 with a run scored. In the starting nine used on each of the first to nights, John Shelby is the only Biscuit yet to log a hit.
RHP Joe Cruz will look to propel the Biscuits to their first win of 2011 on Saturday night against Birmingham LHP Charlie Leesman. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 with a MAX Fireworks Spectacular to follow.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 8, 2011
- Mississippi Braves Fall to Jackson Generals in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Seager, Shaffer Lead Generals To First Win - Jackson Generals
- Bullpen Battered in 7-2 Defeat - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Drop Game 2 - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Walk-Off a Winner over Stars 5-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stars Comeback Falls Short, Suns 5 - Stars 4 - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Get 15 Hits, Down Lookouts 6-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Vitters Leads Smokies to 6-3 Victory over Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mobile gets past Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Jose Yepez to Triple-A Tacoma and Ralph Henriquez to Double-A Jackson - Jackson Generals
- Kennelly Heads up, Query Joins M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Alabama State, the Montgomery Biscuits, and MAX Credit Union Announce the MAX StingFest
- Jake Owen's "Life's Whatcha Make It Tour 2018" with Special Guest Chris Janson & Rising Star Jordan Davis to Make Tour Stop at Riverwalk Stadium
- Biscuits Announce Extension with Tampa Bay Rays, Unveil New Alternate Uniforms
- Biscuits Announce SportsRadio 740 as New Flagship Station
- We Want You