Mississippi Braves Fall to Jackson Generals in 10 Innings, 3-2
Pearl, MS - Left-hander Brett Oberholtzer was impressive in his double-A debut, but the Mississippi Braves (1-1) struggled offensively, falling 3-2 to the Jackson Generals (1-1) in ten innings on Friday night at Trustmark Park in front of 4,168 fans.
At the front end of a game that lasted three hours and nine minutes, the 21-year-old threw six strong innings, giving up just one run on three hits, all in the third inning. He struck out five and walked none in the no-decision.
Offensively, the Braves were led by Jordan Kreke, who was three-for four with three singles, including an RBI in the fifth inning to tie the game at 1-1. Tyler Pastornicky also had three hits, scoring the go ahead run in the sixth to put the game at 2-1.
Veteran right-hander Scott Patterson (1-0) picked up the win for Jackson. He held the Braves hitless through the final two frames for the victory. LHP Rowdy Hardy (0-1) took the loss after allowing a leadoff double to Jake Shaffer and the go-ahead RBI single by Kyle Seager in the top of the tenth.
Six of Jackson's eight hits came from Seager and Shaffer. The leftfielder Shaffer went 3-for-4, scoring all three runs for the Generals, while the second basman Seager went 3-for-5, earning all three RBI.
In all, the Braves left six runners on base and were just 2-for-9 on the night with runners in scoring position.
The Braves and Generals will meet again on Saturday for game three of a five game set to open the 2011 campaign. Braves RHP Paul Clemens will face Generals RHP Erasmo Ramirez. First pitch from Trustmark Park is at 6:05 PM CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 8, 2011
- Mississippi Braves Fall to Jackson Generals in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Seager, Shaffer Lead Generals To First Win - Jackson Generals
- Bullpen Battered in 7-2 Defeat - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Drop Game 2 - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Walk-Off a Winner over Stars 5-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stars Comeback Falls Short, Suns 5 - Stars 4 - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Get 15 Hits, Down Lookouts 6-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Vitters Leads Smokies to 6-3 Victory over Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mobile gets past Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Jose Yepez to Triple-A Tacoma and Ralph Henriquez to Double-A Jackson - Jackson Generals
- Kennelly Heads up, Query Joins M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Atlanta Braves Foundation Awards $2,500 Grant to Girl Scouts of Greater Mississippi
- Pete Laven Named Mississippi Braves' Vice President and General Manager
- Brian Snitker Named National League Manager of the Year
- M-Braves Alum Ronald Acuna Jr. Wins National League's Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award
- M-Braves Collecting Food and Supply Donations for Hurricane Michael Relief Efforts