Mississippi Braves Fall to Jackson Generals in 10 Innings, 3-2
Pearl, MS - Left-hander Brett Oberholtzer was impressive in his double-A debut, but the Mississippi Braves (1-1) struggled offensively, falling 3-2 to the Jackson Generals (1-1) in ten innings on Friday night at Trustmark Park in front of 4,168 fans.
At the front end of a game that lasted three hours and nine minutes, the 21-year-old threw six strong innings, giving up just one run on three hits, all in the third inning. He struck out five and walked none in the no-decision.
Offensively, the Braves were led by Jordan Kreke, who was three-for four with three singles, including an RBI in the fifth inning to tie the game at 1-1. Tyler Pastornicky also had three hits, scoring the go ahead run in the sixth to put the game at 2-1.
Veteran right-hander Scott Patterson (1-0) picked up the win for Jackson. He held the Braves hitless through the final two frames for the victory. LHP Rowdy Hardy (0-1) took the loss after allowing a leadoff double to Jake Shaffer and the go-ahead RBI single by Kyle Seager in the top of the tenth.
Six of Jackson's eight hits came from Seager and Shaffer. The leftfielder Shaffer went 3-for-4, scoring all three runs for the Generals, while the second basman Seager went 3-for-5, earning all three RBI.
In all, the Braves left six runners on base and were just 2-for-9 on the night with runners in scoring position.
The Braves and Generals will meet again on Saturday for game three of a five game set to open the 2011 campaign. Braves RHP Paul Clemens will face Generals RHP Erasmo Ramirez. First pitch from Trustmark Park is at 6:05 PM CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 8, 2011
- Mississippi Braves Fall to Jackson Generals in 10 Innings, 3-2 - Mississippi Braves
- Seager, Shaffer Lead Generals To First Win - Jackson Generals
- Bullpen Battered in 7-2 Defeat - Montgomery Biscuits
- Stars Drop Game 2 - Huntsville Stars
- Suns Walk-Off a Winner over Stars 5-4 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Stars Comeback Falls Short, Suns 5 - Stars 4 - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Get 15 Hits, Down Lookouts 6-3 - Tennessee Smokies
- Vitters Leads Smokies to 6-3 Victory over Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Mobile gets past Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Jose Yepez to Triple-A Tacoma and Ralph Henriquez to Double-A Jackson - Jackson Generals
- Kennelly Heads up, Query Joins M-Braves - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.