Broncos Down Blades 3-2 in Shootout
Regina, Sask. - The Swift Current Broncos (4-14-1-0) put on a strong 65-minute performance against the Saskatoon Blades (14-2-2-1) Saturday night, skating away with a 3-2 shootout victory,
Saskatoon opened the scoring 43 seconds in off a lucky bounce. Charlie Wright's shot from the left point pinballed off multiple sticks before hitting Reid Dyck's blocker and bouncing into the net. It was Wright's first WHL goal.
The Broncos had back-to-back power play chances shortly after the goal, but couldn't find the back of the net.
Dyck was sensational the rest of the way for the Broncos, turning aside the next 16 Blades shots, including a pair of breakaways as the Broncos were down 1-0 after one.
Swift Current was the better team for the duration of the second period, and got rewarded five minutes in. After a faceoff win by Mathew Ward, Owen Pickering let a slap shot go from the left point that beat Nolan Maier under the glove to tie the game.
Ward was given a penalty shot later in the period but was stymied by the Blades goaltender.
Another unlucky bounce resulted in the Broncos being down 2-1 through 40. Chase Wouters's shot from the right circle was stopped by Dyck, but the puck then bounced off Sam McGinley's skate and into the net with just 12 seconds left in the period.
Braeden Lewis tied the game two minutes into the third period, jumping on a rebound in front of Maier to tie the game.
The game remained tied at two all the way through the end of regulation and overtime, sending it to a shootout.
Dyck turned aside all three Blades shooters before Ward redeemed himself for the missed penalty shot, deking Maier out of the net to score the winner in the third round.
The Broncos now face the Winnipeg ICE for the final time this season Monday at 4:00.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2021
- Portland Splits Weekend After Final Trip to Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Sweep Season Series with ICE in OT Thriller - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat ICE 5-4 in OT Thriller - Winnipeg Ice
- Foote Makes NHL Debut - Kelowna Rockets
- Western Hockey League Statement on COVID-19 Testing Results - WHL
- April 18 Preview: Wheat Kings vs Ice 5 PM - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Pre Game Report Presented by Imperial Steel - ICE vs Wheat Kings - April 18, 2021 - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Day Hub: April 18 - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Down Blades 3-2 in Shootout - Swift Current Broncos
- Broncos Edge Blades 3-2 in Shootout - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Zip Past Cougars - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Fall in Shootout to Hurricanes - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Blow Two-Goal Lead - Red Deer Rebels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Broncos Season Ends with Overtime Loss to Raiders
- Broncos Finish Season against Prince Albert Raiders
- Brandin Cote Accepts New Role with University of Saskatchewan Huskies
- Nagy's Hat Trick Leads Broncos over Warriors
- Broncos Face Warriors in Penultimate Game of the Season