Braves Best Tourists to Complete Series Sweep
ROME - Asheville's road woes continued on Thursday night in Rome. The Tourists had won three of their previous four series entering the three-game set at Rome and just took two-of-three on their last road trip in Hickory. Unfortunately, the Braves caught fire and finished off a three-game sweep of the Tourists with a 10-5 win in the finale.
The Tourists came out hot and made it clear they were ready to battle the Braves. Asheville plated the game's first two runs thanks to a groundout by Coco Montes and an RBI double by Javier Guevara in the second inning.
The Braves plated a run in the bottom of the second and then used a pair of big innings to make things difficult on the Tourists. Rome scored three runs in the third and added three more in the fifth. Their seven unanswered put the home team up 7-2. Asheville has allowed an inning of three runs or more in 21 of their 25 losses.
The T's fought back with a big inning in the sixth. Asheville scored three runs that included a two-run single by Guevara. They had the bases loaded later in the inning when Grant Lavigne was robbed of extra-bases on a missal to first. Had Lavigne's line drive found the outfield the Tourists likely would've taken the lead.
Rome countered with three runs over their final two frames and Asheville was held scoreless the rest of the way. The Braves finished with a season-high 16 hits; including a season-high three triples. The Tourists will attempt to bounce back in Lexington on Friday night with game one of a four-game series scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Rome Sweeps Away Tourists in 10-5 Win - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Piece Together Another Series Win - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Score Five in the 9th Inning to Win Series - Augusta GreenJackets
- Drive Drop Series Finale to Hickory - Greenville Drive
- Braves Best Tourists to Complete Series Sweep - Asheville Tourists
- Burt Homers, Gil Dominates to Lead Dogs to Sweep - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Blanked 5-0 by RiverDogs in Series Finale - West Virginia Power
- Suns Get Walked-Off on in Ninth - Hagerstown Suns
- Walk-Off Wild Pitch Caps BlueClaws Series Sweep - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 16 at Augusta (Game 40) - Columbia Fireflies
- Vasquez placed on Injured List - Rome Braves
- Homestand #4 Preview: May 17-24 - Hagerstown Suns
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 16) - West Virginia Power
- Bill on Baseball: Davis, Selby Help Hoppers Gain Split - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Greensboro Grasshoppers to Play a Doubleheader on Sunday, May 19 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.