Brahmas Hold Off IceRays 2-1
Brett Jaeger made 21 saves on 22 shots to lead the Texas Brahmas past the Corpus Christi IceRays 2-1 from the NYTEX Sports Centre on Friday night. The IceRays scored early in the first, but Jaeger closed the door the rest of the way, and two goals were enough to give the defending President's Cup Champions the narrow win. Corpus Christi's loss dropped their record to 8-9-2 on the year. The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center to host the Allen Americans on Caller-Times Family Night on Saturday night at 7:05pm. For more information call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK.
For the second straight night the IceRays sprung onto the scoreboard with an early goal. Justin Quenneville capped off an IceRays rush into the offensive zone with a goal from the left circle at 3:07 to make the score 1-0. Texas answered minutes later when Anders Strome scored from the slot at 5:04 to tie the score. The teams closed the first period tied at one with Texas outshooting Corpus Christi 11-8.
The Brahmas controlled the majority of scoring chances in the second period and scored the lone goal of the frame to take their first lead. Eias Godoy found Grant Jacobsen back door from the right corner and Jacobsen tallied his eighth goal of the year to make the score 2-1 Brahmas at 4:31. The Brahmas outshot the IceRays 12-2 in the period and took a one-goal lead into the final frame.
The IceRays put up 12 shots in the final period and threw everything they had at the Brahmas, but Jaeger and Texas stood their ground and time ran out on Corpus Christi.
Kevin Nastiuk (4-4) made 28 saves on 30 shots taking the loss. Brett Jaeger (5-6-1) earned the win stopping 21 of 22 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-3 and the Brahmas went 0-5. The IceRays were outshot by the Brahmas 30-22 in the game.
The IceRays return to the American Bank Center on Saturday night to host the Allen Americans on Caller-Times Family Night. Fans can get a family four-pack of tickets for just $34, courtesy of the Caller-Times. The first 600 fans at the game will receive free IceRays autograph books courtesy of the Coastal Community and Teachers Credit Union. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2009
- Gorillas Slip by Mudbugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans beat Rio Grande Valley 5-2 to win fourth straight - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Blank Thunder 4-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swiniarski Wins Shootout Thriller for Odessa - Odessa Jackalopes
- Dumont Nets Four As RiverKings Stop Eagles - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Lose Shootout Heartbreaker To Odessa - Laredo Bucks
- Make It Ten Wins, Brahmas Win Tenth Staight Over Corpus - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Hold Off IceRays 2-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Dumont's Four Goals Beat Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder Blanked in Missouri - Wichita Thunder
- Rapid City's Colt King Signs Two-Way Deal With The Rochester Americans Of The American Hockey League - Rapid City Rush
- Three-Time AHL Champ Joins Thunder - Wichita Thunder
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- Bucks In Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale