Brahmas Edge Jacks in Overtime, 4-3
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, TX - Chad Woollard's game-winner a minute into overtime capped off a 4-3, comeback win for the Texas Brahmas over the Odessa Jackalopes on Saturday night at the Nytex Sports Centre. The Jacks and Brahmas split their weekend set of games, with the Jacks taking three of four possible points in the standings to maintain a hold on third place in the CHL's Berry Conference.
Woollard's winner resulted from a broken play in the left-wing corner that set up a one-time shot between the circles to beat David McKee.
Greg Hogeboom and Jason Deitch both scored in the third period to knot the game at 3-3. Hogeboom's tally came on the power play 2:17 into the third period and was the first goal of the game since late in the opening frame.
The Brahmas (16-12-3) began the game's scoring with Ross Rouleau's shot from the right point 5:34 into the contest to make it 1-0, Brahmas. The Jackalopes (17-14-3) responded with three straight of their own in the period to take a two-goal lead into the first intermission.
Alex Dunn started the run with a wrist shot from the left point at 7:11 that sailed past a screened Wayne Savage in net for Texas. Darryl Bootland then scored on a rebound to the right of the goal crease. Todd Robinson's faceoff win in the left circle put Phil Plante in position for a shot at the point to generate Bootland's rebound.
Kenny Bernard tallied a power play goal with less than four minutes remaining in the period after deflecting Sebastien Thinel's shot from the right point. Todd Robinson also added an assist to make it 3-1, Jackalopes.
McKee remains perfect in regulation since joining the Jacks with a 2-0-1 record. For the fourth time this season, Texas came back to win a hockey game when trailing after two periods of play. The other three times were also against Odessa.
Odessa will resume play after the all-star break by visiting the Colorado Eagles on Friday at 8:05 PM CST. The action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-PUCK or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 8, 2011
- Eagles Blast 'Bugs, 6-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Eagles Blowout 'Bugs in Colorado - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Sundogs Double-Up Killer Bees, 6-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Brahmas Best Bunnies in Thriller - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Edge Jacks in Overtime, 4-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bees Can't Catch Sundogs, Fall 6-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bucks Earn Weekend Split With RiverKings - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Dethrone Kings in 4-2 Win - Laredo Bucks
- Mallards Come from Behind, Drop Evansville 7-4 - Quad City Mallards
- Mavs Slide Ends Against Oilers in 3-2 Victory - Kansas City Mavericks
- Gems come up short in 2-1 game against Fort Wayne - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Lose at Wichita 5-1 on Saturday Night - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Wichita Stomps Bloomington - Wichita Thunder
- Sundogs Announce Front Office Changes - Arizona Sundogs
- Rush and Americans Clash in a Rematch of Last Year's Presidents' Cup Finals Tonight - Rapid City Rush
- Gendur Recalled to Milwaukee Admirals - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Bucks Host RiverKings Again Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.