Brad Stuver Nominated for 2022 ESPN Sports Humanitarian of the Year Award
Austin, TEXAS - ESPN today announced the nominees for the 2022 Sports Humanitarian awards, with Austin FC goalkeeper Brad Stuver nominated for the Muhammad Ali Sports Humanitarian Award. The winner will be announced at the 2022 ESPYS, airing live on ABC at 7:00 p.m. CT on Wednesday, July 20.
"It's an honor to be named a finalist for this prestigious award," said Stuver. "I've been fortunate to be able to use my platform as a professional athlete to speak and act on issues close to my heart, and I'm excited to share this moment with other fantastic athletes who have done the same."
Stuver is one of four (4) nominees for the award, joining Anthony Barr of the Minnesota Vikings, Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals, and Karl-Anthony Towns of the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Award will benefit the Stuart Scott Memorial Cancer Research Fund at the V Foundation for Cancer Research.
"We're very proud of Brad and feel fortunate to have him and his wife Ashley as representatives of our Club," said Austin FC Head Coach Josh Wolff. "He is a quality example of an athlete using their platform for good."
Stuver is actively involved with Current Initiatives' The Laundry Project, an organization which holds events to provide free laundry services and materials to low-income families. He has led seven such events in just over a year since arriving in Austin, and organized multiple supply drives to collect donations.
Stuver is a foundation board of trustees member for Equality Texas, the largest LGBTQIA+ advocacy nonprofit in Texas. He is also an ambassador for Athlete Ally, an organization that works to encourage athletes to be outspoken for LGBTQIA+ equality.
He was named one of three finalists for Major League Soccer's MLS Works Humanitarian of the Year award in 2021, and was the inaugural winner of the 4ATX Foundation Legend of the Year Award for his outstanding commitment to helping build physically, socially, and emotionally healthy communities through soccer. Stuver was a featured speaker at this year's South by Southwest Conference in Austin, in a session titled "Athlete Activism: Using Sport for Social Good."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 28, 2022
- Minnesota United FC at LA Galaxy Preview - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming Details for Home Match against Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, June 29 - LA Galaxy
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued - MLS
- Carles Gil Earns 2022 ESPY Award Nomination for Best MLS Player - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Foundation, CoServ, Friends of Rob, Gallagher and UMB Bank Unveil 10th Field at My Possibilities - FC Dallas
- CF Montréal Begins West Coast Road Trip Wednesday in Seattle - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC Re-Signs Forward Carlos Vela - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Extend Midfielder Tommy McNamara Through 2025 MLS Season - New England Revolution
- Cushing Preview: "Anton Tinnerholm Is Available." - New York City FC
- Sounders FC Continues Summer with the Champs Wednesday Evening vs. CF Montréal - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Partners with iHeartMedia Dallas to Broadcast Matches on Talk Radio 1190AM KFXR - FC Dallas
- Vote for Gregore: Gregore's 2022 MLS All-Star Case - Inter Miami CF
- Know Your Foe: Austin FC - Charlotte FC
- Nashville SC Faces Orlando City SC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Host Defending MLS Cup Champions New York City FC in Midweek Matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Colorado Rapids Transfer Nicolás Mezquida to Greece's Volos FC - Colorado Rapids
- Keys to the Match: Keep Going - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Exercise Permanent Transfer on Goalkeeper Maarten Paes - FC Dallas
- Orlando City Hosts Nashville SC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Orlando City SC
- The Pitch: MLS Newcomers Making Waves at the Midpoint - MLS
- Brad Stuver Nominated for 2022 ESPN Sports Humanitarian of the Year Award - Austin FC
- Atlanta United Extends Loan for Ronaldo Cisneros Through End of 2022 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Kickoff Time Announced for Orlando City Friendly against Arsenal FC - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Driussi's Stoppage Time Winner Completes Comeback Victory for Austin FC over Sporting KC
- Driussi Scores Twice as Austin FC Draws San Jose Earthquakes
- Sebastián Driussi Named Major League Soccer Player of the Month
- Bundesliga Clubs 1. FC Köln and Vfb Stuttgart to Play November Friendly at Q2 Stadium
- Austin FC Shuts out Sporting Kansas City in 2-0 Road Victory