MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued
June 28, 2022 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - The MLS Disciplinary Committee has fined Philadelphia Union midfielder José Martínez an undisclosed amount for making an inappropriate gesture after Philadelphia's match against New York City FC on Sunday, June 26.
New York City FC and the Philadelphia Union have been found in violation of the Mass Confrontation Policy during the 77th minute of their match on Sunday, June 26. Philadelphia has violated the mass confrontation policy for a second time this season, and the organization and head coach Jim Curtin have been fined an undisclosed amount for their actions. NYCFC has violated the mass confrontation policy for a second time this season, and the organization has been fined an undisclosed amount for their actions. Head Coach Nick Cushing has been issued an Official Warning for his first violation of the season.
Due to their role in the mass confrontation, NYCFC midfielder Nicolás Acevedo, and Philadelphia Union midfielders José Martínez and Daniel Gazdag have been fined an undisclosed amount for inciting and/or escalating a mass confrontation.
The MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended Philadelphia Union Head Athletic Trainer Paul Rushing for one additional match (two matches total) and fined Rushing an undisclosed amount for exhibiting physical and aggressive behavior toward opposition player(s) in the 77th minute of Philadelphia's match against New York City FC on Sunday, June 26.
The play was reviewed under Disciplinary Committee Parameter 2, in which the MLS Disciplinary Committee may act where the officials see an incident and issue a red card. The Disciplinary Committee may review the play for further disciplinary action, over and above the mandatory suspension and fine. Under Parameter 2, supplemental discipline (suspension and/or fine) will be administered if the Disciplinary Committee believes the offense is egregious in nature, and/or it must act to protect player safety, and/or it must protect the integrity of the game, and/or the player is guilty of repeat behavior.
Rushing will serve his red card suspension during Philadelphia's match on June 29 against Chicago Fire FC. The athletic trainer will serve the additional match suspension during Philadelphia's match on July 3 against the Columbus Crew.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 28, 2022
- Minnesota United FC at LA Galaxy Preview - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Announce Programming Details for Home Match against Minnesota United FC on Wednesday, June 29 - LA Galaxy
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued - MLS
- Carles Gil Earns 2022 ESPY Award Nomination for Best MLS Player - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Foundation, CoServ, Friends of Rob, Gallagher and UMB Bank Unveil 10th Field at My Possibilities - FC Dallas
- CF Montréal Begins West Coast Road Trip Wednesday in Seattle - Club de Foot Montreal
- LAFC Re-Signs Forward Carlos Vela - Los Angeles FC
- New England Revolution Extend Midfielder Tommy McNamara Through 2025 MLS Season - New England Revolution
- Cushing Preview: "Anton Tinnerholm Is Available." - New York City FC
- Sounders FC Continues Summer with the Champs Wednesday Evening vs. CF Montréal - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Partners with iHeartMedia Dallas to Broadcast Matches on Talk Radio 1190AM KFXR - FC Dallas
- Vote for Gregore: Gregore's 2022 MLS All-Star Case - Inter Miami CF
- Know Your Foe: Austin FC - Charlotte FC
- Nashville SC Faces Orlando City SC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Host Defending MLS Cup Champions New York City FC in Midweek Matchup - FC Cincinnati
- Colorado Rapids Transfer Nicolás Mezquida to Greece's Volos FC - Colorado Rapids
- Keys to the Match: Keep Going - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Exercise Permanent Transfer on Goalkeeper Maarten Paes - FC Dallas
- Orlando City Hosts Nashville SC in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Orlando City SC
- The Pitch: MLS Newcomers Making Waves at the Midpoint - MLS
- Brad Stuver Nominated for 2022 ESPN Sports Humanitarian of the Year Award - Austin FC
- Atlanta United Extends Loan for Ronaldo Cisneros Through End of 2022 Season - Atlanta United FC
- Kickoff Time Announced for Orlando City Friendly against Arsenal FC - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.