Boston Blazers Acquire Casey Powell, 2010 NLL MVP in Orlando
Boston, MA Boston Blazers President and General Manager Doug Reffue announced today the acquisition of Casey Powell, one of lacrosse's most recognized and acclaimed players, and defenseman John Orsen in the dispersal draft of the Orlando Titans. The Blazers held the second overall pick and received the sixth overall pick following the trade of Boston's forward Brenden Thenhaus and a 2011 entry draft selection.
Powell, the National Lacrosse League's 2010 Reebok MVP and the first US-born player to win the award joins the Blazers after recording a career-high 44 goals and 36 assists. A seven time All-Star, Powell has scored a career 567 points (246 goals and 321 assists).
The first overall draft selection in 1998, Powell began his professional NLL career with the Rochester Knighthawks where he played two seasons before being traded to the now defunct Anaheim Storm. Following the Storm's suspension of operations, Powell was ultimately picked up by the Titans organization where he played for the last four seasons. With the Titans, Powell netted 331 points and led the team as captain to three straight playoff appearances.
A native of Carthage, NY, Powell is also known for his outstanding outdoor career including being a gold medal member of the 1998 US World Championship team, the MVP of the 1999 World Cup Team, the captain of the 2006 US National Team as well as Major Lacrosse League's all time leader in points and a four time All-Star. Powell attended Syracuse University where he broke the school's all time scoring record, was a two time National Player of the Year, and won the 1995 NCAA National Championship.
Orsen, a Cold Spring Harbor, NY native and a graduate of Hofstra University was a second team All-Pro last season after leading a defense that allowed the fewest goals in the league (9.63 goals per game) and finished the season with 114 loose balls (7th overall).
"We are extremely excited to welcome Casey and John to our team," said Reffue. "Casey is one of the best players in the league and is a proven difference maker. The combination of Casey's skills with Dan Dawson, the 2009 MVP and all-star goalie Anthony Cosmo, gives us the keys to win a 2011 championship."
Boston also picked up Greg Peyser, a face-off specialist and Johns Hopkins graduate with their 15th overall pick. Mike Amman and Chris Passavia were selected 25th and 35th overall respectively.
Season tickets for the Blazers 2011 season are currently available. For more information, visit blazerslacrosse.com or call 888-BLAZERS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 6, 2010
- Rush Gain Greer and Alrich in Orlando Dispersal Draft - Edmonton Rush
- Wings Acquire Veteran Talent and Athleticism in Players from Orlando Titans Dispersal Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- Roughnecks Gain Four Players in Dispersal Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Take Jordan Hall Third Overall - Rochester Knighthawks
- Toronto Rock Acquire McLellan and MacLeod - Toronto Rock
- Bandits Acquire Thenhaus and First Round Pick from Boston - Buffalo Bandits
- Goalie Vinc Added to Mammoth Roster - Colorado Mammoth
- Boston Blazers Acquire Casey Powell, 2010 NLL MVP in Orlando - Boston Blazers
- Wings Trade Faceoff Man Geoff Snider to Calgary for Orlando Titans Dispersal Draft Pick - Philadelphia Wings
- Roughnecks Acquire Local Talent Geoff Snider From Wings - Calgary Roughnecks
- Washington Stealth Re-Sign Two More NLL Veterans - Washington Stealth
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals