BlueClaws Blank Hoppers 3-0 for Seventh Shutout of Season
GREENSBORO, NC - Kyle Young threw five scoreless innings and Jake Scheiner hit his team-leading fifth home run to give the BlueClaws a 3-0 win over Greensboro on Saturday night at First National Bank Field.
Lakewood (22-17) has now won eight of their last 10 games to get to five games over .500 for the first time this year. Greensboro (16-21) has dropped eight of their last 10.
Young (1-0), making his first start of the year, gave up five hits without a walk over his five scoreless innings. He struck out five to earn the victory. Connor Brogdon threw two perfect innings in relief while Kyle Dohy got the last six outs for his fifth save. Dohy recorded five strikeouts and has fanned 40 hitters in 21.2 innings so far this year.
BlueClaws pitchers have now combined on a league-best seven shutouts this year. They've allowed just 11 runs, and only eight earned, over their last 10 games (8-2).
The BlueClaws jumped out to a 1-0 lead in a four-hit first inning, capped by an RBI single from Nick Maton put the Lakewood up a run. Maton had driven in the game-winning run in Thursday's win.
Jake Scheiner smashed his team-leading fifth home run of the year onto the berm in left field for a 2-0 lead in the second inning. It was Scheiner's ninth professional home run and the fourth-round pick has hit safely in 14 of his last 15 games for the BlueClaws.
Lakewood added another run in the sixth when Dalton Guthrie grounded into a double-play on which Rodolfo Duran scored from third base.
Brandon Miller (0-3) took the loss, allowing three runs in six innings for the Grasshoppers.
Each Lakewood starter had a hit while Gregori Rivero had three and Quincy Nieporte added two. Jake Scheiner has now hit safely in 14 of his last 15 games.
The BlueClaws and Grasshoppers play a double-header on Sunday beginning at 1:00 pm. RHP Spencer Howard (3-2) starts for Lakewood in game one while LHP Damon Jones (2-1) will start game two.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 19, 2018
- Drive Fall 5-2 to GreenJackets on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Late Night Pays off for GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Blaser Drives Home Three as Dogs Snap Skid against Columbia - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rodon Impresses in First Rehab Assignment as Kannapolis Wins 3-2 - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Shine Bright to Take Series Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Boggetto Leads Suns to 7-2 Win over Shorebirds - Hagerstown Suns
- BlueClaws Blank Hoppers 3-0 for Seventh Shutout of Season - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Golden and Bernard Both Homer in 6-2 Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Rome Tops Asheville 6-2 - Rome Braves
- Alfonzo Impresses at the Plate in Saturday Night Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Saturday's Game Versus West Virginia Power Suspended Due to Weather - Lexington Legends
- Game Suspended, Double Header Tomorrow - West Virginia Power
- Saturday's Game against Lexington Suspended - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 19 at Charleston (Game 41) - Columbia Fireflies
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (May 19) - West Virginia Power
- End of An Era: Miss Babe Ruth Dies of Cancer at Age 12 - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Meadows Makes MLB Debut with Pittsburgh Friday - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Playoff Bound: BlueClaws Win First-Half Pennant
- Parkinson Dominant; Claws Blank 'Dads 4-0 on Sunday
- Jones Sharp, Ortiz Homers, Claws Keep Playoffs Hopes Alive with 4-2 Win
- Claws Leave Bases Loaded in Ninth, Fall 4-3 on Friday
- BlueClaws Drop Heartbreaker, 7-6 to Suns on Thursday