Blue Crabs' Rally Falls Short in 9-7 Loss
After the Blue Crabs lost 3-1 in game one of the series, they fell short again on Saturday night in a high-scoring affair. The Blue Crabs scored early, but Somerset's bats were ultimately too much for Southern Maryland.
In the top of the first inning, Rubi Silva hammered a deep fly ball to center field for a double. The next batter, Joe Benson, launched a two-run homer to deep center field, giving the Blue Crabs a 2-0 lead.
Somerset responded in the bottom of the first inning, when Brandon Cumpton (L, 2-6) struggled. With two outs, Mike Ohlman hit a three-run home run to left field, putting Patriots on top 3-2.
The Patriots led 5-3 going into the fourth inning. With one out, Edwin Garcia knocked a bloop single into left field before Josh McAdams ripped a triple into center, cutting the deficit to 5-4.
But Somerset answered again in the bottom of the fourth inning when John Hayes entered the game in relief of Brandon Cumpton. Hayes allowed the first two batters to reach base before Will Kengor lined a three-run home run over the wall in left field. The Patriots added another run to take a 9-4 lead.
Both bullpens settled down from there. Vince Molesky (W, 2-0) pitched three scoreless innings for the Patriots, allowing just one baserunner. But Southern Maryland's bats came alive against Logan Darnell in the ninth inning. Kent Blackstone walked to lead off the inning before Edwin Garcia hit a two-run home run to cut the deficit to 9-6. The Blue Crabs added a pair of singles before Tony Thomas roped a base hit into left, scoring Josh McAdams.
But Mike Antonini (S, 19) came in relief of Darnell and closed the doors on the Southern Maryland rally. Antonini retired Rubi Silva on a fielder's choice before getting Joe Benson to bounce into a double play, giving the Patriots a 9-7 win.
The Blue Crabs will return home on June 21th for the first game of six-game homestand that will begin against the High Point Rockers with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
Be sure to vote your Blue Crabs to the 2019 Atlantic League All-Star Game, just click: www.atlanticleague.com/allstarvoting.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Ducks and Rockers Split Twin Bill in High Point - Long Island Ducks
- Barnstormers Come Up Short - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Patriots Power Past Blue Crabs 9-7 - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs' Rally Falls Short in 9-7 Loss - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Bees Offense Stymied By Skeeters Pitching Staff In Shutout Loss - New Britain Bees
- Nash, Nina Bash York To Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers Rally Falls Short - High Point Rockers
- Revs Burn Barnstormers in Blowout - York Revolution
- Ducks Rally Behind Banwart in Road Win - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Home Run Dominant Game Swings in Favor of High Point
- Skeeters Sting Blue Crabs in Series Finale
- Blue Crabs Even Series, Shutout Skeeters
- Skeeters Take Series Opener over Blue Crabs
- Craig Stem's Contract Purchased by Bravos De Leon of Mexican Baseball League