Patriots Power Past Blue Crabs 9-7
Bridgewater, NJ - The Somerset Patriots (29-19) used the long ball to defeat the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs (16-34) 9-7 before a season-high 8,205 fans at TD Bank Ballpark on Saturday evening.
The Blue Crabs took an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning on a two-run home run by Joe Benson (1).
The Patriots wasted no time taking the lead in the bottom of the frame on a three-run blast by Michael Ohlman (2).
"I was trying to hit a home run. It had been a while," said Ohlman. "He kept pounding me in and I wasn't quite getting there, so it was effective for him. That was what I was looking for. He spun a slider on the inner half and I just turned on it."
Southern Maryland tied up the game in the top of the second inning on a run scoring double play.
Somerset answered with two more runs in the bottom of the second inning on an RBI single by Rey Navarro and an RBI fielder's choice by Will Kengor for a 5-3 advantage.
Josh McAdams made it a one-run ballgame in the top of the fourth inning with an RBI triple for a 5-4 score.
The Patriots extended their lead with a four-run fourth inning. Kengor struck again with a three-run home run (3) and Michael Crouse added an RBI single for a 9-4 lead.
Somerset cruised into the ninth inning when Southern Maryland made it close once again on a two-run home run by Edwin Garcia (2) and an RBI single by Tony Thomas for what would be the 9-7 final.
Vince Molesky (2-0) picked up the win, allowing a hit and striking out two in three scoreless innings of relief. Brandon Cumpton (2-6) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on six hits in three innings pitched. Mike Antonini came in for the final three outs to earn his league-best 19th save.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue at home with a 1:05 pm game against the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs on Sunday, June 16th. The game features a Father's Day Celebration with a Dad and Kids Catch, T-Shirts (1st 2,000 Men), and more presented by Flemington Department Store. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots line up for high fives following a home run
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Ducks and Rockers Split Twin Bill in High Point - Long Island Ducks
- Barnstormers Come Up Short - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Patriots Power Past Blue Crabs 9-7 - Somerset Patriots
- Blue Crabs' Rally Falls Short in 9-7 Loss - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Bees Offense Stymied By Skeeters Pitching Staff In Shutout Loss - New Britain Bees
- Nash, Nina Bash York To Win - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Rockers Rally Falls Short - High Point Rockers
- Revs Burn Barnstormers in Blowout - York Revolution
- Ducks Rally Behind Banwart in Road Win - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Sculpture Unveiled at TD Bank Ballpark to Honor Steve Kalafer and Sparky Lyle
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters