Blazers Get Best of Rockets
The Kamloops Blazers defeated the Kelowna Rockets 2-1 Saturday night at Prospera Place in Kelowna, BC.
The Rockets and Blazers exchanged chances throughout the opening frame. The Rockets had the lone opportunity on the man advantage when the referees sent Montana Onyebuchi to the box just before the midway point of the period; Kelowna was unsuccessful. Just like the night before, the two entered the first intermission in a scoreless tie.
Six minutes into the second period, Kyrell Sopotyk (11) gave the Blazers a 1-0 lead. Kyle Topping (22) would answer for the Rockets at 13:04. The Rockets and Blazers once again headed to the intermission tied.
Kamloops captain, Jermaine Loewen (25) restored the Blazers lead 9:01 into the third period. The Blazers were able to hold off the Rockets for the rest of the period.
The Kelowna Rockets record is now 27-31-5-2.
Basran turned aside 27 of the 29 shots fired on him, his record moves to 19-18-3-1.
The Blazers outshot the Rockets 29-28.
The Rockets will return to action on Wednesday when they host the Spokane Chiefs for the final Hat Trick Wednesday of the season. Purchase your tickets before 2:00pm on game day and you can get a hot dog and a pop with your ticket for $19.99! Tickets are on sale at selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets in their Don Cherry jerseys try to keep the Kamloops Blazers at bay
(Marissa Baecker / Kelowna Rockets Images)
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 10, 2019
- Broncos Remain Snake-Bitten, Shutout by Raiders - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Blank ICE 4-0 - Kootenay Ice
- Raiders Blank Broncos For Third Straight Game - Prince Albert Raiders
- Blades Welcome Warriors for Playoff Preview - Saskatoon Blades
- ICE Finish off Season Road Schedule in Edmonton - Kootenay Ice
- Tigers Double up Wheat Kings - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Cougars Rally in Third to End Home Skid - Prince George Cougars
- Byram Sets Another Record in the Giants 4-3 Overtime Win - Vancouver Giants
- Head Coach Sutter Gets 500th Career WHL Win as Rebels Inch Closer to Playoff Berth - Red Deer Rebels
- Americans Make Late Comeback, Ultimately Fall to Giants in Overtime - Tri-City Americans
- Tigers Suited Up - Medicine Hat Tigers
- McClennon with Three Points in 8-4 Loss to Rebels - Kootenay Ice
- Blazers Get Best of Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Win the Third Period and the Game - Portland Winterhawks
- CHIEFS NEWS: First Round Playoff Matchup Set Between Spokane and Portland - Spokane Chiefs
- Chiefs Top Royals Behind Adam Beckman's Big Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Brilliantly Backstops T-Birds to Win over Silvertips - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Beaten by Chiefs - Victoria Royals
- Volcan's Pair Gets Seattle past Everett - Everett Silvertips
- Saskatoon Looks Sharp in Sixth Straight Win - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak Picks up Assist in Canada's Opening Victory at U18 World Championship
- Kelowna Rockets Korczak Named to Hockey Canada's 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship Roster
- Five Rockets Listed by NHL Central Scouting in Final Rankings
- Former Rocket Named ECHL's 2018-19 CCM/ECHL Most Valuable Player
- Eight Alumni to Compete for Stanley Cup