'Blades Snap IceMen 's Winning Streak in Estero
The Jacksonville Icemen's four-game unbeaten streak ended as they lost, 6-2, on Wednesday to the Eastern Conference-leading Florida Everblades in Estero.
In a competitive first period, it was Florida who was first to find the back of the net. Just over halfway into the frame, John McCarron fired a shot from below the right circle on a 5-on-3 power play to beat Austin Lotz. Jacksonville would outshoot the 'Blades, 11-9, but trail following the first 20 minutes.
Early in the second period, Garet Hunt scored from the left circle to briefly tie the game. The goal would tie Hunt's season-single goal record of 14 from 2013-14 with the Stockton Thunder. The rest of the period would be all Florida as the 'Blades tallied four goals in the second frame. The onslaught started with Quentin Shore, who scored off a rebound from the right circle to give the 'Blades their second lead of the game. Next, it was Michael Kirkpatrick who scored after playing pitch and catch on a 2-on-1 breakaway with teammate Mitchell Heard. Following that tally was Brett Bulmer's goal, as Justin Kea slid him the puck through the crease for the tap-in goal. Zack Kamrass fired a shot above the left circle, through a screen, and past Austin Lotz for the 5-1 Florida lead. Colton Phinney would come into the game to replace Lotz after the fifth goal. Shortly before the period ended, Tanner Eberle dished a nifty backhand pass across the ice to Elgin Pearce, who one-timed it past Martin Ouellette to make it 5-2.
There would be no thrilling third-period comeback tonight for Jacksonville, as Florida continued to attack offensively. Justin Kea took the puck at center ice and skated past an Icemen defender before putting it past Phinney for the 6-2 advantage. The 'Blades blanked the Icemen in the third period and snapped a two-game winless streak.
Despite the loss, Jacksonville is still only eight points out of a playoff berth. The Icemen return home Friday, March 2nd to take on the Reading Royals at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2018
- Stingrays Suffer Setback in Cincinnati - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Get 30th Win in Thrilling Overtime Fashion - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 'Blades Snap IceMen 's Winning Streak in Estero - Jacksonville IceMen
- 'Blades Snap IceMen's Winning Streak in Estero - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Down Mallards 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Hammered by Nailers, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Earn 2,000th Point in 6-3 Win against Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Olivier Mantha Assigned to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 28 - ECHL
- Steelheads Acquire Goaltender Tomas Sholl - Idaho Steelheads
- Rob Hamilton Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Goalie Jake Paterson Assigned to Allen by Milwaukee - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Jerseys off Our Backs Promotion - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 28 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Remind Fans Love Is Not Lost with Removal of Love Locks with Friday Lock Exchange - Norfolk Admirals
- Rays Sign Kozun, McGauley Re-Assigned to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Land J.T. Henke, Sign Brad Barone - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rampage Recall Forward Conner Bleackley from Tulsa Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Icemen Face Off Against 'Blades - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.