Grizzlies Down Mallards 5-2
MOLINE, Ill. - Ryan Walters scored twice as the Utah Grizzlies (23-23-10) defeated the host Quad City Mallards (19-33-4) 5-2 Wednesday night.
The Mallards fell short after spending most of the evening battling from behind. Brad Navin's one timer from the slot gave the Grizzlies a 1-0 lead at 9:53 of the first period. Greg Amlong's blue line blast evened the score at one at 12:41 of the first but Walters would put Utah back on top for good from the high slot at 16:08.
Austin Ortega's spectacular individual effort- Ortega charged into the goalmouth off the right wing to bury the puck- stretched the Grizzlies' lead to 3-1 at 3:16 of the second period. The Mallards' responded just one minute, four seconds later. Kyle Novak cut the gap to 3-2 on a 2-on-1 rush.
The Grizzlies grabbed a two goal lead for a second time when Ryan Misiak raced down the left wing to snap the puck in at 3:43 of the third period. Walters capped off the Utah victory by scoring a shorthanded empty net goal with just over a minute remaining.
The Mallards next play at home Friday night at 7:05 p.m. against the Grizzlies. Friday will see 97X welcome fans to $2 Beer/$2 Dog Night. Fans can enjoy discounted beverages and hot dogs during every Mallards Friday home game. In addition, Friday is MetroLINK College Night. The Mallards have once again partnered with Metro to provide transit service between Augustana College and downtown Moline during Friday home games. As part of Metro's unlimited ride program, Augustana riders can use their Augustana ID as their fare.
Tickets for Friday night's game and all Mallards regular season home games are now on sale at the TaxSlayer Center box office, Ticketmaster toll free charge-by-phone (1-800-745-3000 ) and ticketmaster.com. The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
About the Quad City Mallards
One of the winningest teams in all of minor league hockey, the Mallards competed in the United Hockey League from 1995 through 2007; in the International Hockey League in 2009-10; and in the Central Hockey League from 2010 through 2014. The Mallards' proud history has seen them capture the UHL's Colonial Cup Championship three times (1997, 1998, 2001) and secure that league's Tarry Cup four times (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002) for the best overall regular season record. In 2001, the Mallards made professional hockey history, recording their sixth consecutive season with 50 or more wins, a feat that has yet to be matched. The TaxSlayer Center provides a unique environment for hockey and features one-of-a-kind seating areas such as the Nest for groups and functions and the exclusive Drake Club. For more information on the Quad City Mallards or for Mallards tickets go to www.myqcmallards. *net*. Fans can also follow the Mallards via Twitter at twitter.com/myqcmallards and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/qcmallards.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 28, 2018
- Stingrays Suffer Setback in Cincinnati - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones Get 30th Win in Thrilling Overtime Fashion - Cincinnati Cyclones
- 'Blades Snap IceMen 's Winning Streak in Estero - Jacksonville IceMen
- 'Blades Snap IceMen's Winning Streak in Estero - Jacksonville IceMen
- Grizzlies Down Mallards 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Monarchs Hammered by Nailers, 6-3 - Manchester Monarchs
- Nailers Earn 2,000th Point in 6-3 Win against Manchester - Wheeling Nailers
- Olivier Mantha Assigned to Adirondack - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 28 - ECHL
- Steelheads Acquire Goaltender Tomas Sholl - Idaho Steelheads
- Rob Hamilton Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Goalie Jake Paterson Assigned to Allen by Milwaukee - Allen Americans
- Thunder Announce Jerseys off Our Backs Promotion - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, February 28 - Manchester Monarchs
- Admirals Remind Fans Love Is Not Lost with Removal of Love Locks with Friday Lock Exchange - Norfolk Admirals
- Rays Sign Kozun, McGauley Re-Assigned to Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Land J.T. Henke, Sign Brad Barone - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rampage Recall Forward Conner Bleackley from Tulsa Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Nailers at Monarchs Game Day Snap Shot, February 28 - Wheeling Nailers
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Icemen Face Off Against 'Blades - Jacksonville IceMen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings